History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tynehead Station

A Category C Listed Building in Crichton, Midlothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.8221 / 55°49'19"N

Longitude: -2.969 / 2°58'8"W

OS Eastings: 339384

OS Northings: 659181

OS Grid: NT393591

Mapcode National: GBR 71Q3.0S

Mapcode Global: WH7VF.CXFM

Plus Code: 9C7VR2CJ+R9

Entry Name: Tynehead Station

Listing Name: Tynehead, Station Cottage

Listing Date: 22 March 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395114

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47773

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Crichton

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Midlothian East

Parish: Crichton

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in


Circa 1840. Single storey L-plan former railway station; remodelled to form house. Coursed sandstone, dressed ashlar surrounds. Long and short quoins, base course.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: L-plan elevation; 2advanced bays to left; glazed door to outer left, later 2-pane fanlight above; window to right, replacement surround; 3 symmetrically placed windows to longer right portion of elevation..

NE ELEVATION: base course; 3 rectangular windows, slightly projecting surrounds.

SE ELEVATION: not seen, 2000.

12-pane timber sash and case windows set high into to eaves, replacement 15-pane glazed door. Piended grey slate roof, metal roll ridging; overhanging eaves; brick stacks with stone neck copes, cans. Replacement rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.

Statement of Interest

Tynehead is situated on the crossroads of the B6367 and B6458. It is the longest summit in Britain. The tiny village grew with this station (now closed) and still provides accommodation for the nearby Tynehead Farm. The station served on the Edinburgh to Hawick line (it opened in 1848, the line 1845), which ran from the newly acquired Edinburgh and Dalkieth Railway. This ran through Gorebridge and Fushiebridge, calling at Tynehead before making its way to the Moorfoots and Lammermuirs. Latterly it was part of the Waverley Route, which finally closed in January 1969. The line has now been dismantled.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.