This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9884 / 55°59'18"N
Longitude: -3.3969 / 3°23'48"W
OS Eastings: 312951
OS Northings: 678151
OS Grid: NT129781
Mapcode National: GBR 20.VQV0
Mapcode Global: WH6S9.SRM2
Plus Code: 9C7RXJQ3+96
Entry Name: Queensferry Parish Church, The Loan, South Queensferry
Listing Name: The Loan, Queensferry Parish Church
Listing Date: 21 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395127
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47786
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Almond
Traditional County: West Lothian
1893-4; later extension. Square and snecked sandstone ashlar. Aisle-less nave; tower and spire at NE corner.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central paired 3-centre arch entrance doors; hoodmoulds over; cusped bracket between; large pointed arch above; tracery; hoodmould over; angle buttresses; stone cross at apex of gable. Single storey range to right: single window; geometric tracery; hood mould over; diagonal buttress. Tower to left: bipartite light; hoodmould over; round window above; hoodmould over; blocked single light; decorative cornice band; square tower with polygonal stone spire; weathervane at apex; diagonal buttress; similar arrangement to left return.
S ELEVATION: modern extension dedicated 31st January 1993.
E ELEVATION: rose window. Single storey, 3-bay range extension: central door with flanking windows; 2 windows on returns.
N ELEVATION: 4 arched lights.
INTERIOR: pointed arched ceiling; timber scissor beams. 4 stained glass windows on N wall; 3rd from left is War Memorial Window. Timber communion table, pulpit and lecturn from Old Parish Church. 2 doors on east wall lead to church office; used to lead to vestry and Session Room. Enclosed seating in centre of W wall originally for Stewart-Clarke family but became seats for Burgh Council members, town's coat of arms are on the wall. Organ loft above Burgh Council seats. Door on S wall leads into new extension.
In 1775 a group of parishoners formed a Secession Church in Queensferry following a dispute with the Earl of Rosebery. In 1847 the Seceeders became part of the United Presbyterian Church. Following an increase in the congregation, which was partly a result of the influx of workers employed on the Forth Rail Bridge, the United Presbyterians decided to build a new church, St Andrew's, on The Loan and this was dedicated on 20th February 1894. In 1900 the U.P Church became part of the United Free Church, which reunited with the Church of Scotland in 1929. Following a decline in church attendance at St Andrew's and the Old Parish Church the decision was made to unite the two churches. In 1956 following this union St Andrew's on The Loan became Queensferry's Parish Church. Some of the furnishings from the Old Parish Church were taken to the new church: the stone font (which now stands outside the church), the lecturn, pulpit and the communion table. The latter three items are still used in the church. In 1992 an extension was added to the west of the church and was dedicated on 31st January 1993. This extension includes an area for worship, a coffee area and offices. In November new railings were added to the forestairs and the pattern represents the Holy Trinity. The church has strong links to the town and every year on the Sunday nearest 19th November there is a service to celebrate the birthday of St Margaret, from whom the town received its name. When the town was still independent from Edinburgh the town councillors would attend an annual service and would sit in the seats at the rear of the church, once reserved for the Stewart-Clarke family.
Other nearby listed buildings