This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0373 / 56°2'14"N
Longitude: -3.4991 / 3°29'56"W
OS Eastings: 306696
OS Northings: 683723
OS Grid: NT066837
Mapcode National: GBR 1W.RRVM
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.7J13
Plus Code: 9C8R2GP2+W9
Entry Name: 16 North Row, Charlestown
Listing Name: 13-18 (Inclusive Numbers) Charlestown Village, (North Row)
Listing Date: 31 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395152
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47809
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
Later 18th century. Symmetrical row; 6 single storey cottages; 3-bays. Pebbledash to 13, Charlestown Village; rendered sandstone elsewhere.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical central door; flanking windows.
W ELEVATION: door.
N ELEVATION: contemporary piended rear outshots.
E ELEVATION: plain gable.
2-pane sash and case windows to 14, 15, and 17 Charlestown Village; replacement fenestration elsewhere including enlarged windows to No 16. Boarded door to No 14 with 2-pane fanlight; replacement doors elsewhere, some with 2-pane fanlights. Continuous piended roof; red clay pantiles, modern tiles to Nos 15, 16, 17 and 18; slated easing course. Gable end stacks; 5 ridge stacks.
INTERIORS: not seen, 2000.
A-Group with 1-90 Charlestown Village, exluding 36-37 and 52-55 Charlestown Village; Charlestown, Bridge of Former Elgin Railway; Charlestown, Camsie House; Charlestown Harbour; Charlestown Harbour Road, Limekilns; Charlestown Village, K6 Telephone Kiosk; Charlestown Village, The Queen's Hall; Charlestown, 8, 10, 14, The Sutlery, 16, 18 Rocks Road; Charlestown, 12 Rocks Road, The Old School House; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Former Estate Workshop; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Old School. Charlestown Village was built by Charles, 5th Earl of Elgin (1732-1771) and was continued by his successors. It was built to the plan of the letter "K" and an elongated "E" (Kincardine and Elgin) and named after its founder. The Earl of Elgin exploited the nearby deposits of coal and limestone to create an industry which involved the establishment of the largest limeworks in Scotland, an iron foundry, brick works, the export of coal and coke, the necessary transport for the materials which included wagonways and the harbour and provided accommodation for the workers. Construction of the planned village commenced in 1756 at the middle stroke of the E (Double Row) with uniform workmen's cottages. By 1771, South Row, Lochaber and part of North Row had been built. The completion of North Row was the final stage in the development of the planned village. The houses were all built to the same size in sets of 6 with clay pantiles which were glazed black in colour to look like slate (some cottages retain these black tiles), and with a front or rear yard and rear kitchen extensions forming a double hipped roof to the cottages. In 1840 6 wells were placed in the village, by the 1920's water was piped to every house and in 1930 indoor lavatories were installed. Most of the cottages are now in private ownership, although some still belong to the Broomhall Estate. The planned village has survived well and its importance is enhanced by the retention of its associated structures including the Queen's Hall, shop, school, limekilns and harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings