This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.037 / 56°2'13"N
Longitude: -3.4972 / 3°29'49"W
OS Eastings: 306810
OS Northings: 683686
OS Grid: NT068836
Mapcode National: GBR 1X.RL96
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.7JXB
Plus Code: 9C8R2GP3+Q4
Entry Name: 32 Cross Row, Charlestown
Listing Name: 31-33 (Inclusive Numbers) Charlestown Village (Cross Row) and 34-35 Charlestown Village, (Double Row)
Listing Date: 31 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395168
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47812
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
Mid-later 18th century. L-plan row; 5 single storey cottages; 3-bays. Rendered sandstone.
E ELEVATION: symmetrical 3 bays each; central door; flanking windows. Window in gable of 34 Charlestown Village.
S ELEVATION: symmetrical 3 bays each; central door; flanking windows.
W ELEVATION: plain gable to No 35; contemporary piended extensions to rear of 31-33 Charlestown Village.
N ELEVATION: plain gable with window in rear extension set back to right; 31 Charlestown Village. Pitched extensions to rear of 34-35 Charlestown Village.
2-pane sash and case windows to 31, 32 and 33 Charlestown Village; replacement windows elsewhere. Bipartite windows to No 31. Concrete tiles to 31 and 33; replacement red pantiles elsewhere; slated easing course to Nos 34 and 35. Piended roof to N of No 31; pitched to W of No 35. Drop in roof level from No 32 down to No 33. 1 gable end stack (No 35); 4 ridge stacks; 1 wallhead stack (No 34).
INTERIORS: not seen, 2000.
A-Group with 1-90 Charlestown Village, exluding 36-37 and 52-55 Charlestown Village; Charlestown, Bridge of Former Elgin Railway; Charlestown, Camsie House; Charlestown Harbour; Charlestown Harbour Road, Limekilns; Charlestown Village, K6 Telephone Kiosk; Charlestown Village, The Queen's Hall; Charlestown, 8, 10, 14, The Sutlery, 16, 18 Rocks Road; Charlestown, 12 Rocks Road, The Old School House; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Former Estate Workshop; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Old School. Charlestown Village was built by Charles, 5th Earl of Elgin (1732-1771) and was continued by his successors. It was built to the plan of the letter "K" and an elongated "E" (Kincardine and Elgin) and named after its founder. The Earl of Elgin exploited the nearby deposits of coal and limestone to create an industry which involved the establishment of the largest limeworks in Scotland, an iron foundry, brick works, the export of coal and coke, the necessary transport for the materials which included wagonways and the harbour and provided accommodation for the workers. Construction of the planned village commenced in 1756 at the middle stroke of the E (Double Row) with uniform workmen's cottages. By 1771, South Row, Lochaber and part of North Row had been built. The completion of North Row was the final stage in the development of the planned village. The houses were all built to the same size in sets of 6 with clay pantiles which were glazed black in colour to look like slate (some cottages retain these black tiles), and with a front or rear yard and rear kitchen extensions forming a double hipped roof to the cottages. In 1840 6 wells were placed in the village, by the 1920's water was piped to every house and in 1930 indoor lavatories were installed. Most of the cottages are now in private ownership, although some still belong to the Broomhall Estate. The planned village has survived well and its importance is enhanced by the retention of its associated structures including the Queen's Hall, shop, school, limekilns and harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings