This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.037 / 56°2'13"N
Longitude: -3.4964 / 3°29'47"W
OS Eastings: 306859
OS Northings: 683691
OS Grid: NT068836
Mapcode National: GBR 1X.RLGN
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.8J89
Plus Code: 9C8R2GP3+RC
Entry Name: 56 Lochaber, Charlestown
Listing Name: 56-59 (Inclusive Numbers) Charlestown Village, (Lochaber)
Listing Date: 31 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395178
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47814
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
Later 18th century. L-plan row; 4 single storey cottages. Rendered sandstone.
S ELEVATION: No 56: door with flanking windows; further 2 windows to far right. No 57: central door; flanking windows. No 58: 3 windows to right; door to left; glazed porch. No 59: leaded canted bow gable window; window to rear outshot.
W ELEVATION: principal elevation to No 59; window to left; door and window to right.
N ELEVATION: not seen, 2000.
E ELEVATION: rear outshots.
2-pane sash and case windows to Nos 56, 57 and 58; 4-pane to No 59. 2 replacement windows to No 56. Pitched roof; clay pantiles glazed black to Nos 56, 57, 58; modern tiles to 59; slated easing courses. 1 gable end stack to No 59; 6 ridge stacks. Roof pitch broken to No 59.
INTERIORS: not seen, 2000.
A-Group with 1-90 Charlestown Village, exluding 36-37 and 52-55 Charlestown Village; Charlestown, Bridge of Former Elgin Railway; Charlestown, Camsie House; Charlestown Harbour; Charlestown Harbour Road, Limekilns; Charlestown Village, K6 Telephone Kiosk; Charlestown Village, The Queen's Hall; Charlestown, 8, 10, 14, The Sutlery, 16, 18 Rocks Road; Charlestown, 12 Rocks Road, The Old School House; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Former Estate Workshop; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Old School. Charlestown Village was built by Charles, 5th Earl of Elgin (1732-1771) and was continued by his successors. It was built to the plan of the letter "K" and an elongated "E" (Kincardine and Elgin) and named after its founder. The Earl of Elgin exploited the nearby deposits of coal and limestone to create an industry which involved the establishment of the largest limeworks in Scotland, an iron foundry, brick works, the export of coal and coke, the necessary transport for the materials which included wagonways and the harbour and provided accommodation for the workers. Construction of the planned village commenced in 1756 at the middle stroke of the E (Double Row) with uniform workmen's cottages. By 1771, South Row, Lochaber and part of North Row had been built. The completion of North Row was the final stage in the development of the planned village. The houses were all built to the same size in sets of 6 with clay pantiles which were glazed black in colour to look like slate (some cottages retain these black tiles), and with a front or rear yard and rear kitchen extensions forming a double hipped roof to the cottages. In 1840 6 wells were placed in the village, by the 1920's water was piped to every house and in 1930 indoor lavatories were installed. Most of the cottages are now in private ownership, although some still belong to the Broomhall Estate. The planned village has survived well and its importance is enhanced by the retention of its associated structures including the Queen's Hall, shop, school, limekilns and harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings