This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0585 / 56°3'30"N
Longitude: -3.5013 / 3°30'4"W
OS Eastings: 306606
OS Northings: 686091
OS Grid: NT066860
Mapcode National: GBR 1W.QCCJ
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.5ZYB
Plus Code: 9C8R3F5X+CF
Entry Name: Keavil House, Crossford
Listing Name: Keavil House Hotel
Listing Date: 23 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395220
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47829
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Early 19th century; alterations R R Anderson, circa 1890. 2-storey house with service court to N. Rendered; ashlar window and door surrounds; quoins and eaves course and cornice.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: replacement entrance; modern flat-roofed porch to far left; bow canted stone surrounds to single 1st floor window; swept hood. Advanced, single bay, piended section to right; central window. 2 1st floor windows in right return; window to left set into angled wall. Modern porch obscures former entrance door. Pedimented single bay slightly advanced to right; corniced bow canted ground floor window; Venetian window above. Curved service wing set back to right sweeps E-wards; 3 ground and 3 1st floor windows. Wing continues set back to right; pedimented gable wall; single, central ground and 1st floor window; ground and 1st floor window in left return. Plain wall of advanced section set back to left. Section set back to right from gable wall; single storey piended ground floor section; bipartite window half blocked; 1st floor window set back to left. Ground floor window in right return; gatepier to left; corniced coping stone. Entrance to court to right; bridge at 1st floor; 2 windows to E. Pedimented single storey wing to right; ground floor window; opening above. Matching gatepier to left return. Wing set back to left of former laundry (now Armoury Bar).
S ELEVATION: later porch wing extends from S gable wall. Flue partially projects from wall; raking tiers; corniced stack.
W ELEVATION: advanced section to left; advanced canted bow window at ground and 1st floor; surmounting parapet with balustrade and segmental arch detail. 3rd floor window above. 4 bay section set back to right, partially obscured by modern conservatory. Single 1st and 2nd floor windows to 2 left bays. Ground and 1st floor canted bow window section to right (as at far left). Recent advanced, single storey, 3-bay, balustraded wing abuts 2 right bays of house. Pedimented 1st floor window to far right. Modern balustraded wing extends S-wards. Tall wall to N hides service court beyond.
N ELEVATION: partially obscured by service wing. Blind 1st floor window to right; blind 2nd floor window hugs eaves to right. Corniced flue to right partially projects from gable wall. 2nd floor window to left hugs eaves; shouldered, coped central gable end stack.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Pitched and half-piended slated roofs. Corniced, stone ridge stacks.
INTERIOR: modern interior. Moulded, pilastered and corniced door surround of former front door remains.
Keavil has been referred to as early as the late 15th century in a Dunfermline Burgh record. It is also depicted as Cavil on J Blaeu's map of 1654 and Kavill on J Thomson's 1827 map. Although the present building suggests an early 19th century build, it could be possible that the remains of an earlier house have been incorporated. Andrew Scobie drew up a ground plan for Keavil in 1873 and R Rowand Anderson made additions to Keavil House, circa 1890, however, it is uncertain what these were. At one point, the house belonged to the Halkett's of nearby Pitfirrane Castle and later, in the 20th century it became a children's home before its present use as a hotel.
Other nearby listed buildings