This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9451 / 55°56'42"N
Longitude: -3.1956 / 3°11'44"W
OS Eastings: 325424
OS Northings: 673100
OS Grid: NT254731
Mapcode National: GBR 8NJ.6B
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.WTGR
Plus Code: 9C7RWRW3+3Q
Entry Name: 10-14 Lauriston Place, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 10 - 14 (Even Nos) Lauriston Place, Including Boundary Wall, Gate and Railings
Listing Date: 12 December 1974
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395277
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47887
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1814. 4-storey 5-bay classical terraced tenement, set back behind small garden. Cream sandstone ashlar; channelled to ground floor, lightly droved above; rubble to rear. Base course; dividing band between ground and 1st floors; cill courses to 1st and 2nd floors; projecting cills to 3rd; mutuled eaves. Timber panelled door (to flats) with sunburst fanlight to centre, flanked by wider doors with batwing fanlights in round-arched surrounds. Regularly fenestrated; ground floor windows in round-headed recesses; windows to 1st in corniced architraved surrounds; decorative cast-iron balconies to 1st and 3rd windows from left at 1st.
12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates; rendered stacks with circular cans to ridge.
BOUNDARY WALL, GATE AND RAILINGS: low coped ashlar boundary wall with spear-headed cast-iron railings; spear-headed finials to cast-iron gate; pine cone finials to gateposts.
Nos 8-14 Lauriston Place were built by John Ferrier (joiner and builder) for William Laurie. A triangular plot of land to the W of Heriot's hospital with a house at the SE corner is marked as belonging to Mr Laurie on John Ainslie's 1804 map, and the western section of what is now Lauriston Place is marked as Lauriestown on the1780 Ainslie plan. Keir Street, Heriot Place and Nos 8-44 Lauriston Place were restored (including the removal of shops built out in the late 19th century in Lauriston Place) by TM Grey for the Lister Housing Co-operative in 1977-81, and awarded Saltire Society and Civic Trust Awards in 1982 and 1983 respectively. B group comprises Nos 8, 10-14, 16 and 18, 20-24, 26 and 28, 30 and 32, 34 and 36, and 38-44 Lauriston Place.
Other nearby listed buildings