History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

3 Victoria Terrace, Baden-Powell House

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.949 / 55°56'56"N

Longitude: -3.1933 / 3°11'35"W

OS Eastings: 325575

OS Northings: 673526

OS Grid: NT255735

Mapcode National: GBR 8NG.NY

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.XQKS

Entry Name: 3 Victoria Terrace, Baden-Powell House

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395295

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47902

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Paterson and Sheills, 1865. 3-bay Italian gothic former church, now used as offices, with single bay containing stair over roll-moulded depressed-arched pend to Fishers Close to right. Squared and snecked lightly stugged sandstone (rubble to Fisher's Close).

S (VICTORIA TERRACE) ELEVATION: moulded cornice to ground floor; moulded eaves course; crocketted skews to finialled gable; chequer-set corbelled platform to right formerly supported spired bell turret with iron finial; pierced parapet to stair bay at outer right. Windows in roll-moulded and chamfered surrounds. Timber panelled door with pointed-arched fanlight over in projecting pitch-roofed porch with foliated brackets and trefoil in gable, flanked by 2-light cusped windows with foliated shafts. 3 tall windows above: central window with carved impost and plate tracery has decorative panelling concealing pulpit below mid level. Circular window in gable. Tall window with plate tracery and carved impost to bay to outer right, bisected by diagonal panel concealing stair.

E (FISHER'S CLOSE) ELEVATION: simply detailed. Stepped pointed-arched windows to upper floor.

Frosted horizontal-pane glazing with vestige of border-glazing to S and E; smallpane sash and case to centre light lower section. Graded grey slates.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Built as a Primitive Methodist Chapel, with Minister's house and school at ground floor. Dean of Guild drawings show a little spired belfry, now demolished, to the right of the gable.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.