This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1428 / 57°8'33"N
Longitude: -2.1252 / 2°7'30"W
OS Eastings: 392519
OS Northings: 805769
OS Grid: NJ925057
Mapcode National: GBR S7L.XV
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.BQ7N
Plus Code: 9C9V4VVF+4W
Entry Name: Bank, 40 Albyn Place, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 40 Albyn Place, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 5 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395314
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47915
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Earlier 19th century; 20th century additions and alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay villa. Tooled coursed granite ashlar finely finished to margins. Base course; dividing band course; eaves course; overhanging eaves.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; doorway to centre bay of ground floor, with balustraded 1st floor balcony supported on 2 Tuscan columns, 2-leaf panelled timber door with letterbox fanlight; 2-light window to centre of 1st floor; 3 windowed bowed bays through ground and 1st floors of flanking bays to left and right.
W ELEVATION: single storey flat-roofed addition to right of ground floor, autoteller set into wall of flanking bay to left; remainder blank.
S ELEVATION: obscured by 20th century addition.
E ELEVATION: windows to centre bay of ground and 1st floor.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped wallhead stacks with square and circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fine plasterwork to principal rooms of ground floor, some panelling on walls; deep cartouche friezes, moulded cornicing, panelled ceiling with decorative mouldings at intersections; caryatids supporting niche arch to W room; remainder remodelled as bank.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers to N with pyramidal caps. Low kerb wall to N; granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
Albyn Place was originally built on the lands of Rubislaw, owned by James Skene. Skene lived in Albyn Place in Edinburgh (hence the same name in Aberdeen), and commissioned Archibald Elliot to prepare a scheme for Aberdeen based on the New Town in Edinburgh. Albyn Place was the only part of Elliot's scheme to be executed, the remainder being remodelled by Archibald Simpson just over a decade later, and again in the 1840s. 40 Albyn Place is a good example of an early villa built as Aberdeen expanded westwards in the 19th century. It is notable for the bowed bays, balustraded balcony and for the survival of some good interior plasterwork. Under ownership of the Royal Bank of Scotland (2000).
Other nearby listed buildings