This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1429 / 57°8'34"N
Longitude: -2.1271 / 2°7'37"W
OS Eastings: 392408
OS Northings: 805783
OS Grid: NJ924057
Mapcode National: GBR S7C.0Z
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.9QCK
Entry Name: Queen's Cross, Queen's Road, St Swithin Street and Queen's Lane South, Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls to St Joseph's Roman Catholic Primary School,
Listing Date: 5 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395333
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47931
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later-late 19th century. Gates, gatepiers and boundary walls shared with 1, 3 and 5 Queen's Road (see separate listings). 2-leaf decorative iron gates to NW at Queen's Cross, flanked by corniced square-plan gatepiers and low coped rough-faced granite quadrant walls, with piers to outer angles. Low coped rough-faced granite walls to N on Queen's Road; high coped Aberdeen bond rubble walls to E on St Swithin Street, brick lined; square-plan gatepiers to S, coped with spherical finials, iron gates and railings flanking. High granite coped walls to Queen's Lane South, square-plan coped gatepiers and iron gates leading to former primary school. Low square-plan piers flanked by ashlar walls forming terrace immediately to S of 3 Queen's Cross and Chapel, steps leading down to playground. Granite coped brick wall enclosing garden to S of 1 Queen's Road, lean-to glasshouse adjoining. Brick coped granite rubble walls enclosing gardens of remaining villas.
B-Group with 3 Queen's Cross and 1, 3 and 5 Queen's Road (see separate listings). St Joseph's Roman Catholic School began in the small gardener's cottage on the periphery of the present school grounds, under the direction of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. In 1896 the school was taken on by the Aberdeen Education Authority as St Joseph's Girls School. It was a small school with 125 pupils and six teachers. In 1970 the school moved to 3 Queen's Cross, and a few years later took on the adjoining buildings, with the exception of 1 Queen's Road, which was retained by the Sisters of the Sacred Heart until 1993.
Other nearby listed buildings