This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7774 / 55°46'38"N
Longitude: -3.9304 / 3°55'49"W
OS Eastings: 279016
OS Northings: 655475
OS Grid: NS790554
Mapcode National: GBR 01ZM.WS
Mapcode Global: WH4QY.L1LS
Plus Code: 9C7RQ3G9+XR
Entry Name: Wishaw, 47 Clelland Road, Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395338
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47939
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Motherwell South East and Ravenscraig
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Alexander Cullen, 1907. 2-storey, 4-bay asymmetrical Scottish 17th century villa, rectangular-plan, white ashlar sandstone, stone mullioned windows, overhanging eaves, plain windows.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: door at centre; panelled timber door; consoled cornice and steep pediment above with carved fleurs-de-lys to tympanum and finiato shoulders. Bipartite window to right with moulded panels above; small bipartite window above. 2- storey, canted window on taller crowstepped gable to right; cornice and ogee lead roof above. Bipartite window at 1st floor to outer left with tall shaped gable head breaking eaves, carved panel dated 1907.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular 3 bay; window with plain dressed sill and lintel to left; 2 bi-partite plain dressed windows to right of central bay; wallhead dormer with raking scalloped parapet above; advanced single storey bay with single light and plain door; swept piended gable roof; single light wallhead dormer with raked scalloped parapet above; front facing crow steeped gable in bay to left; above triangular oriel window with swept lead roof.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated M-gabled wall; 6-light large rectangular mullioned and transomed window to centre; gable head stack to right gable.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: irregular fenestrated M-gabled wall; advanced canted single storey bay to right with cornice and stone renaissance balustrade above.
Small pane timber sash and case windows throughout; grey slate; MM-gabled roof with projecting eaves; ashlar coped skews with distinctive scrolled skew putts; stacks with simple caps over sailing courses.
INTERIOR: dark stained and waxed woodwork throughout; plaster moulded "Posies" in low relief to drawing room ceiling; leaded glass to hall and staircase window.
BOUNDARY WALL: low wall, squared sandstone coursers, saddleback coping, modern wrought-iron gates.
One of the finest late Victorian villas in Wishaw. Originally called Heathery Park as it used to back onto Heathery Woods by Alexander Cullen (1856 - 1911) of Wishaw (Cullen, Lochhead and Brown after 1902). Cullen maintained the most successful practice in the Hamilton, Motherwell and Wishaw area of North Lanarkshire from 1889 until his death, securing contracts for numerous villas and the bulk of commercial and public works. A graduate of Glasgow University the City remained his primary stylistic influence though he amassed an extensive library bequeathed to Motherwell District Library that reveals a wide ranging and intellectual interest in architectural developments in Europe, Japan and America.
Other nearby listed buildings