This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.775 / 55°46'29"N
Longitude: -3.9206 / 3°55'14"W
OS Eastings: 279625
OS Northings: 655186
OS Grid: NS796551
Mapcode National: GBR 112N.0N
Mapcode Global: WH4QY.R37N
Entry Name: Wishaw, Kenilworth Avenue, Reformed Presbyterian Church Including Boundary Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395343
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47944
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Wishaw
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Early 19th century. Early gothic church. Rectangular-plan, aligned NE-SW; gabled with bellcote to SW; single storey lean-to porch with advanced gabled entrance to SW elevation; buttressed sides; yellow ashlar sandstone.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: single storey lean-to porch to centre; central advanced gabled entrance bay with hoodmoulds to pointed arch, double chamfered to pointed cusped arch with trefoils to spandrels, flanked by engaged columns with stiff leaf capitals; trefoil to apex, pedimented clasping buttresses to corners. Flanking bays with small hood moulded, bipartite pointed-arch cusped windows with stone mullions; corbelling to eaves course; similar single windows to returns. Hoodmoulded rose window above; arcaded bellcote with gabled roof, supported on stone corbels, trefoils to apex and base.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: multifoil to apex, chimney stack to gablehead; single storey gabled office wing to right, single window, gablehead stack, window and door to SE return, advanced wing to NW return.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5-bay, symmetrical, regularly fenestrated lancet windows; buttressed and corbelled.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirrors SE.
Coped skews with gablet skewputts and kneelers. Grey slates, lead flashings; paired small gabled and finialed vents to sides and single vent to ridge; cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000
Ecclesiastical building still in use as such. The Reformed Presbyterian church is shown on the 1859 OS map but with slightly different plan to the porch found today. The Reformed Presbyterians or Covenanters were certainly established in what was then called Wishawtown by 1836 when they erected the Covenanters Monument on Auchterhead Muir (see separate listing) and a sermon was preached to over 5000 people. But probably have a much longer history in this area of North Lanarkshire rich as it is in Covenanting history. When the extremist Covenanters or Cameronians refused to settle with the Established Church over the Revolution Settlement of 1650 they went on their own, later becoming the Reformed Presbyterians. The congregation is therefore the oldest in Wishaw predating Wishaw Old Parish Church. The present church is contemporary with the re-emerging radicalism of the early 19th century that led to the Disruption in 1843 and saw a renewed growth in the Reformed Presbyterian Church itself as seen in the sermon on Auchterhead Muir.
Other nearby listed buildings