This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7745 / 55°46'28"N
Longitude: -3.9208 / 3°55'15"W
OS Eastings: 279607
OS Northings: 655131
OS Grid: NS796551
Mapcode National: GBR 111N.YV
Mapcode Global: WH4QY.R441
Plus Code: 9C7RQ3FH+QM
Entry Name: Wishaw, Main Street and Kenilworth Avenue Former Coltness Gatehouse
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395371
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47959
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Wishaw
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Mid 19th century. 2-storey, 2-bay rectangular-plan Jacobethan former gatehouse, now converted as public toilets. Polished ashlar sandstone. 3-stage belvedered square tower with, oriel. Base course, broad and corniced dividing band between 1st and 2nd floors and eaves course and cornice; projecting quoins; strap work parapets and balustrades.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical. 3-stage advanced square tower to right; small semicircular arch niche to ground with basin, blind arches to returns; bipartite stone-mullioned and transomed bowed oriel window with mask boss and corbel to 1st floor; paired and pilastered semicircular arches with Tuscan capitals to belvedere. Blind window in projecting surround at ground with scrolled pediment to left; to centre 1st floor; small semicircular arched window with roll moulded reveal, plain architrave and flanking roundels with shields.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: large battered wallhead stack to centre; small window to 1st floor at far left; gabled single storey wing advanced to right, scrolled pediment above later extensions and blind oculus to gablehead..
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: adjoining building.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, 3-bay. Recessed bay to centre with plain entrance. 2-storey gabled bay to right; canted window to ground, pilaster-framed window to centre 1st floor with consoled, broken segmental pediment. Single storey bay to left, bipartite stone mullioned window projecting to centre.
Plate glass and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate gabled roofs with lead flashing; coped, skews with kneelers, skewputts and finials. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: now converted as municipal toilets.
The Coltness Estate was bought by wealthy Yorkshire mill owners the Houldsworths in 1836 who hoped to move into the coal and iron industries. The gate house was built as part of a large estate improvement programme, 1850-70, which also included the Home Farm, Pather Farm, stables, elaborate glass houses and remodelling the Jacobean Coltness House. Most of these buildings were destroyed along with house in the 1970s. The original gates, taken down in the 1950s, crossed the present day Kenilworth Avenue which was the carriage route laid down at the same time as the other works.
Other nearby listed buildings