This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8059 / 55°48'21"N
Longitude: -3.83 / 3°49'47"W
OS Eastings: 285399
OS Northings: 658468
OS Grid: NS853584
Mapcode National: GBR 11P9.ML
Mapcode Global: WH5RY.4BGH
Plus Code: 9C7RR54C+82
Entry Name: Allanton Mill
Listing Name: Allanton, Old Mill Road, Allanton Mill
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395393
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47976
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Fortissat
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Later 19th century, refitted and extended 1921 (dated). 3-storey, single bay, rectangular-plan mill; 2-storey, square-plan kiln with pyramidal roof to right; single-storey flanking lean-to wings (1 modern). Squared and droved sandstone coursers. Sliding doors to large openings.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gabled mill to centre; large door at ground, loft door to centre of 1st floor; 1921 date stone between 1st and 2nd floors, window to centre of 2nd storey, winch bracket at apex. Kiln to right; large door at ground, hatch to centre of upper storey, pyramidal roof with steel, capped vent at apex. Lean-to bay to outer left; large door. Lean-to bay to outer right; door to left, window to right.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: piended roof to mill at centre; single window to centre of 1st floor.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay mill, regular fenestration to 1st floor, lean-to addition abutting at ground.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay, single barred window to right of 1st floor of mill; kiln abutting to left, lean-to addition abutting kiln at ground.
Timber small-pane sash and case windows, timber sliding doors. Grey slates and lead flashing to mill and kiln, corrugated-iron roofing on lean-to wings. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: partially gutted; some timber chutes, hatches and hoppers on ground floor ceiling.
Original mill from 19th century with some parts of walling possibly older. Refitted in 1921 with new equipment and mill building raised one storey. Many old mills across Scotland were last refitted in the 1920s shortly before becoming obsolete. The kiln block is unusually large for this far south in Scotland. Probably originally part of the Allanton Estate, though it was not included in the 1932 sale of the estate. Possibly sold in the 1920s leading to the refit.
Other nearby listed buildings