This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7925 / 55°47'32"N
Longitude: -3.8563 / 3°51'22"W
OS Eastings: 283710
OS Northings: 657022
OS Grid: NS837570
Mapcode National: GBR 11HG.XD
Mapcode Global: WH4QS.QNWS
Plus Code: 9C7RQ4RV+XF
Entry Name: Bonkle Parish Church, Church Road, Bonkle
Listing Name: Bonkle, Church Road, Bonkle Parish Church (Church of Scotland) Including Church Hall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395396
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47979
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Fortissat
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Dated 1878. Rectangular-plan, gothic church. Gabled with engaged entrance tower to N gable; arcade and gallery windows to nave. Squared and tooled sandstone coursers with ashlar detailing. Continuous cill string course at ground, stopped hoodmoulds to openings, corbelled eaves course. Plate tracery to pointed-arch clerestorey windows.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 4-stage engaged tower to centre; slightly advanced gabled porch with foliate finial at apex, entrance roll and nailhead moulded to deep reveal; 2-leaf door with decorative strap-hinges. 2-light lancet with quatrefoil to 2nd stage. Battered 3rd stage; 1878 date stone; small louvered lancet opening to centre with broad cill course. Bipartite louvered, cusped lancet opening with stone mullion; continuous cill course; eaves course, corbelled cornice; spire.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 large, stepped lancets to centre. Single storey lean-to vestry to ground, advanced lean-to entrance porch to right return.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4-bay, regular fenestration; bipartite windows to ground; 2-light plate traceried clerestorey windows.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror of E.
Square leaded windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Saw-tooth coped skews with gablet kneelers.
INTERIOR: gabled nave with billetted cornice. Timber U-plan gallery with fixed family box pews to gable end; supported on cast-iron pillars with foliate capitals. Steps to canted timber panelled pulpit at S end, door to left of pulpit to small vestry and rear entrance. Fixed timber pews to nave and aisles, doors to left and right of N end of nave, through to vestibule; flanking staircases up to gallery. Decorative geometric patterned stained glass to chancel end.
CHURCH HALL: circa 1890. U-plan, gabled. Squared and tooled sandstone. Bipartite windows with stone mullions to advanced wings with arrow slits above; door to right return of left wing; flanking windows to bipartite to right wing; gap partially filled with later lean-to addition. Regularly fenestrated to rear, modern hall abutting to S side. Grey slates, lead flashing. Coped skews with kneelered skewputts.
GATEPIERS: octagonal stone piers; plinth, entablature with quatrefoil frieze, pyramidal caps.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The first Bonkle church was built in the early nineteenth century to replace the early eighteenth century Kirk O' The Muir at Dura on Auchterhead Muir which was at some distance from the village and in disrepair. The first church at Bonkle developed an unstable west wall and funds were raised to build a second, which is the present church of 1878.
Other nearby listed buildings