This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7831 / 55°46'59"N
Longitude: -3.8779 / 3°52'40"W
OS Eastings: 282329
OS Northings: 656018
OS Grid: NS823560
Mapcode National: GBR 11CK.7R
Mapcode Global: WH4QS.DWMZ
Plus Code: 9C7RQ4MC+6V
Entry Name: Newmains Police Station, Manse Road, Newmains
Listing Name: Newmains, Manse Road, Newmains Police Station Including Boundary Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395400
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47982
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Murdostoun
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Cullen, Lochead and Brown, 1905. 2-storey, 5-bay, symmetrical, bowed, rectangular-plan, Scottish 17th century style Police Station on gusset site; bowed central block with flanking gabled pavilions. Bull-faced white sandstone with ashlar margins.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: tripartite window with stone mullions to centre of ground floor, flanking panelled timber entrance doors, bead moulded surround; broad ashlar band between floors, inscribed COUNTY CONSTABULARY, terminated with framed heraldic shields above entrances; 3 windows to upper storey. Advanced, 2-storey, canted windows with parapets to flanking shouldered gable end bays; ashlar panels between floors of canted bays.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced shouldered gable bays to left and right, windows to gablehead and returns, short balustrades to outer edges, battered wallhead chimneys to inside returns. Single storey advanced gabled bay to centre.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to right, small window to ground, tall narrow window to gablehead, coped skews with round 'daisy' pattern skewputts, small spire to right. Single storey balustraded, advanced bay to centre, narrow window, door to return, narrow window to main wall above; blank bay to left.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror of NW.
Sash and case windows of various size. Grey slate roof, lead flashing, 2 coped, bull-faced stacks to central block, battered stack to central rear wing; cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: original, fitted wooden enquiry desk in reception otherwise modern.
BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: bowed wall to NE, returns adjoining edges of principal elevation. Round corner piers with shallow dome caps linked by low coped wall and railings; low coped wall with railings to returns. Bull-faced sandstone, ashlar coping.
The practice of Cullen, Lochead and Brown of Hamilton which Alexander Cullen formed in 1902, was responsible for a large number of public buildings in the Hamilton, Motherwell area from 1902 to Cullen's death in 1911, including several police stations, libraries, hospitals, schools and churches. Cullen himself also held the post of Architect to Lanark County Council. David Walker observes that Cullen in particular, a graduate of Glasgow School of Art, was extremely well read in architectural history and contemporary architecture and should not be viewed merely as a provincial architect.
Other nearby listed buildings