This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.5582 / 56°33'29"N
Longitude: -2.576 / 2°34'33"W
OS Eastings: 364693
OS Northings: 740844
OS Grid: NO646408
Mapcode National: GBR VV.NZMK
Mapcode Global: WH8S8.DFK7
Plus Code: 9C8VHC5F+7J
Entry Name: Grant's Shoe Factory, Hill Road, Arbroath
Listing Name: Hill Road, Grant's Former Boot/Shoe Factory
Listing Date: 29 May 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395445
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48019
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Arbroath East and Lunan
Traditional County: Angus
Circa 1882. 2-storey piend-roofed 15-bay factory with 3-stage corner tower to right; single storey corner block to East Newgate with remains of small tower (possibly water tower) to outer right; 2 long buildings to rear with pitched roofs (now in ruinous condition). Coursed local red sandstone with polished grey sandstone dressings.
NE (HILL ROAD) ELEVATION: base course, cill courses and eaves course. Long and short quoins; moulded architraves to windows. Round-arched entrances with prominent voussoirs in 5th bay from right and 6th bay from left.
Modern entrance to ground floor of piend-roofed tower to right; bipartite window with bracketed cill to 1st stage; decorative oculus to upper stage.
NW (EAST NEWGATE) ELEVATION: key-blocked oculi to gables of single storey buildings to rear.
Windows currently boarded (2001). Grey slates. Ventilators to roof.
Built as Colin Grant's boot and shoe factory. The firm was founded in 1862. One of 2 well-known Arbroath shoe-making firms, specialising in boots for agricultural workers, the other being Samuel Fairweather's, founded in 1857. An important example of late 19th century industrial architecture in Arbroath.
Other nearby listed buildings