This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.957 / 55°57'25"N
Longitude: -3.185 / 3°11'6"W
OS Eastings: 326108
OS Northings: 674412
OS Grid: NT261744
Mapcode National: GBR 8QD.B2
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.1JLM
Plus Code: 9C7RXR47+RX
Entry Name: 23-24 Greenside Place, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 23-27 (Inclusive Nos) Greenside Place
Listing Date: 19 June 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395459
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48035
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
John Baxter, circa 1798. Symmetrical tenement block, 4-storey and attic (5-storey and attic to rear), 8-bay elevation. Later shops built out to ground floor. Droved ashlar (coursed squared rubble with dressed margins to rear). Cill course to 2nd and 3rd floors; eaves cornice; blocking course. Panelled giant pilasters to outer left and right. Regular fenestration.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey extension with pilastered timber elevation to left; single storey extension with round-arched openings to right. Canted dormers to roof.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: 5-storey and attic, 7-bay elevation. Tripartite windows to 1st floor. Dormers to roof.
GLAZING etc: predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate haffits and roofs (piended to left, conical to right) to dormers; 2 rooflights to W elevation. Pitched roof; graded grey slates; stone skews and skewputts. Corniced rendered stacks with circular cans; gablehead stack to N and S, ridge stack to centre, 2 wallhead stacks to rear.
This is the last remaining example of the long stretch of tenements and shops which once lined the E side of Leith Walk, known as Greenside Place and Greenside Street. These were demolished in the 1970s. It is a good example of a late 18th century tenement.
23-27 Greenside Place is built on land feued by the City to John Baxter. The land upon which it is built is marked as 'Baxter's Feu' on Kincaid's 1784 map of Edinburgh. Baxter was a builder from Portobello, whose son, John Baxter junior, became an architect well regarded enough to have been asked to be one of the judges of the competition for laying out the grounds of Calton Hill in 1813. Either separately or in partnership, father and son appear to have been involved in several building projects in the Greenside/Leith Street area in the early 19th century. The building is thought to have originally had urns above the eaves (see Gifford et al, EDINBURGH)
Originally built as a tenement block, 23-27 Greenside Place now houses two pubs at ground floor, with open plan office space on the upper floors.
Other nearby listed buildings