This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9586 / 55°57'31"N
Longitude: -3.207 / 3°12'25"W
OS Eastings: 324736
OS Northings: 674616
OS Grid: NT247746
Mapcode National: GBR 8KC.WH
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.QH1C
Plus Code: 9C7RXQ5V+F5
Entry Name: 54 Hamilton Place, Edinburgh
Listing Name: Hamilton Place, 45-50 (Inclusive Nos) Patriothall, Former St Cuthbert's Co-Operative Society Stable Yard, Including Gatepiers
Listing Date: 2 August 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395536
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48104
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverleith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Thomas P Marwick, 1908. 4-storey 11-bay former stable block to W, 3-storey 5-bay former joiners' shop to S and flat-roofed 2-storey and basement store/workshop to N, built round cobbled court (now converted to flats). Red brick. Regularly fenestrated; segmental-arched openings.
STABLE BLOCK: 2-leaf timber doors to van sheds to ground floor. Concrete balcony (formerly covered) to 1st floor, and remains of balcony to 2nd floor; 2-leaf glazed doors with small-pane glazed fanlights to 1st and 2nd floors.
INTERIOR: white glazed bricks to 1st and 2nd floors. Cobbled floors (later covered in timber) to 1st and 2nd floors. Metal-framed timber roof to 3rd floor. Open stair to N.
JOINERS' SHOP: later timber lean-to to ground floor. Door at 1st floor; regularly fenestrated; wide small-pane glazed windows in segmental-arched surrounds.
N BUILDING: 2 storeys and basement; 6 bays to lane, 2 bays to court. Metal-framed timber roof to ramp leading to former van store at basement level. Railed flat roof (drying space for flats in Hamilton Place) with cupolas.
GATEPIERS: 2 tall coped red sandstone gatepiers to stable yard.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates.
The Co-op site included the flats at Hamilton Place on either side of the pend (Nos 46-62, even Nos) with shops to ground floor, the brick buildings forming a court behind (former bakery, tailors' workshop etc), the U-plan block of social housing at Patriothall (Nos 1-42 inclusive, already listed) and the stable yard. The stables block had 12 stalls and 2 loose boxes at 1st and 2nd floors, accessed from a ramp at SE, and covered balconies. The hay loft to 3rd floor had a hay hoist and chute to N; there was a manure chute to SE. Kirkwood's 1817 map of Edinburgh shows Patriot Hall as a fairly large house with avenues of trees laid out around it, belonging to a Mr Muir. Such urban commercial stables are now a rare survival, redundant, of course, for their original purpose. John Hume provides information on the building type.
Converted to flats by 2006.
Other nearby listed buildings