This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4196 / 56°25'10"N
Longitude: -3.1768 / 3°10'36"W
OS Eastings: 327498
OS Northings: 725881
OS Grid: NO274258
Mapcode National: GBR VD.VHZ2
Mapcode Global: WH6Q9.5XH2
Plus Code: 9C8RCR9F+R7
Entry Name: Waterybutts
Listing Name: Waterybutts House Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 21 September 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395604
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48202
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Carse of Gowrie
Traditional County: Perthshire
1802 with older (probably) stair tower, altered mid and late 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, classically-detailed house. Squared and snecked rubble, some Aberdeen-bond, with ashlar dressings and raised quoins. Eaves cornice and blocking course.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay with concave moulded doorpiece, deep-set 9-panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight, window above; canted bay to left with tripartite window to each floor and dividing cornice; slightly-advanced wide-centre tripartite, also with dividing cornice, to each floor of bay to right. 3 finialled, round-headed dormer windows above.
SW ELEVATION: projecting gable to outer right with window to ground right and attic window to centre, bipartite below single window on return to left; conical-roofed projecting stair tower in re-entrant with bipartite beyond to left; modern 2-leaf glazed door below bipartite in penultimate bay to left and 4-light canted window with polygonal roof to outer left.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical elevation with variety of elements including gable to left with altered door, piended bay to right and 2 single storey bays to recessed centre.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: large blank gable to right with single storey additions in re-entrant to left.
Mostly 12-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes and cans. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: some fine decorative plasterwork and panelled shutters. Vestibule leads to screen door and semicircular fanlight with tiny mask at apex; intarsia tiled hall floor; marble and carved timber fireplaces. Curved stair with plain balusters and timber handrail; gothic arches to 1st floor landing and plasterwork roundel to ceiling light in attic.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: flat-coped rubble boundaries with pyramidally-coped square-section gatepiers.
Waterybutts was, for many years, owned by the 12th century Cupar (Coupar Angus) Abbey. Possibly with a 15th century friary on this site, though with a number of Abbey records extant, this would probably be recorded. James Blair of Newbigging acquired the property in 1654, the lands passing to his daughter Catherine and upon her marriage in 1671 to Peter Hay, to the Leys family. By 1811, Lieutenant John Murray was selling to John Matthews, and George Constable (born 1774) subsequently purchased the lands of Waterybutts. Catherine Playfair (a common name in the Carse) married William Constable in 1834. Patrick Hunter (died 1906), chairman of General Accident for fifteen years, farmed Waterybutts, Bendoch in Coupar Angus and Ardgaith where he was born. There is an early lean-to greenhouse adjoining the steading to N. Waterybutts Dovecot is listed separately.