This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9486 / 55°56'54"N
Longitude: -3.1987 / 3°11'55"W
OS Eastings: 325239
OS Northings: 673488
OS Grid: NT252734
Mapcode National: GBR 8MH.K2
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.VR03
Entry Name: Edinburgh Castle, Gatehouse
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395615
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48218
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
R Lawson Scott (Royal Engineers Department, London), 1886-8, with later niches, Sir Robert Lorimer, 1929. Crenellated Baronial entrance gateway with round-arched pend accessed from Esplanade across modern drawbridge over dry ditch; T-plan gabled gatehouse with flat-roofed wings beyond. Squared and snecked rock-faced yellow sandstone with polished dressings.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: crenellated parapet, chequer-set machicolations. Taller section to centre with roll-moulded round-arched entrance; tripartite panel over entrance with motto and heraldic crest; cannon spouts and bartizans above. Flanking canopied gothic niches designed by Robert Lorimer, housing bronze statues (see Notes). 17th century carved panels (see Notes) incorporated in walls of pend.
W ELEVATION: taller crowstepped gabled section to centre with oriel window over round-arched entrance RVI and date, 1888.
Leaded glass and small-pane glazing to gatehouse. Crowstepped skews. Grey slates. Pyramidally coped ashlar stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron downpipes with decrative hoppers (thistles and roses).
The A Group comprises Batteries, Foog's Gate, Gatehouse, Governor's House, Great Hall, Lang Stairs, Military Prison, National War Museum, New Barracks, Old Guardhouse, Palace Block, Portcullis Gate, St Margaret's Chapel, Scottish National War Memorial, Telephone Kiosks, United Services Museum and Vaults, all within Edinburgh Castle, and in the Care of Historic Scotland. Until the 1880's the Castle had a simple palisaded main entry, with an unspectacular jumble of buildings beyond. The gatehouse building housed guardroom, detention cells and court marshal room. The 2 carved panels now in the entrance passage illustrate armaments, including the cannon known as Mons Meg. Wilson illustrates the carved panel showing Mons Meg captioned 'Ancient carved stone over the entrance to the Ordnance Office.' The other, illustrated in Grant 'stood over the barrier gateway of Edinburgh Castle.' The statues of William Wallace (by Alexander Carrick) and King Robert I (by Thomas Clapperton) were erected in 1929, in Lorimer's niches, to commemorate the 600th anniversary of King Robert's death.
Other nearby listed buildings