History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Patrick's Well, Dalziel Park, Motherwell

A Category C Listed Building in Motherwell South East and Ravenscraig, North Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.7713 / 55°46'16"N

Longitude: -3.9858 / 3°59'8"W

OS Eastings: 275523

OS Northings: 654895

OS Grid: NS755548

Mapcode National: GBR 01LP.WZ

Mapcode Global: WH4QX.R66G

Plus Code: 9C7RQ2C7+GM

Entry Name: St Patrick's Well, Dalziel Park, Motherwell

Listing Name: Motherwell, Dalzell Park, St Patrick's Well

Listing Date: 10 December 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395696

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48303

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Motherwell and Wishaw

County: North Lanarkshire

Town: Motherwell And Wishaw

Electoral Ward: Motherwell South East and Ravenscraig

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in


Rebuilt 1933-39 incorporating earlier fabric. Square-plan wellhead with pyramidal cap. SE facing. Chased yellow sandstone coursers, ashlar moulded cornice, semicircular arched opening to front, keystone dated 1723.

Statement of Interest

The well itself dates back to the mediaeval period and was then linked to the foundation of St Patrick's church. The wellhead however, was added or substantially rebuilt by Lord Gavin George Hamilton in the 1930s when the area around the Hamilton family mausoleum (see separate listing) was re-landscaped to commemorate the death of his wife Lady Sybil in 1933. At this time the gazebo just above the well on the hillside was also built (see separate listing), the new plantings and building overlaying a Japanese garden laid out circa 1900 which was moved nearer to the house in the 1920s, though the bamboo, small bridges and stone steps were incorporated into the later scheme. The wellhead had been demolished by vandals but was rebuilt circa 1985. Originally the wellhead had incorporated an '1882' datestone taken from another part of the estate but on rebuilding this was replaced with the date '1723'.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.