This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 58.7857 / 58°47'8"N
Longitude: -3.2644 / 3°15'51"W
OS Eastings: 327004
OS Northings: 989372
OS Grid: ND270893
Mapcode National: GBR L59H.WWN
Mapcode Global: WH6BT.TFPN
Plus Code: 9CCRQPPP+76
Entry Name: Walled Garden To Nw Of Melsetter House, Melsetter, Hoy
Listing Name: Walls (Hoy), Melsetter, Walled Garden (Formerly Rose Garden) to Nw of Melsetter House, Including Cartshed to West
Listing Date: 31 January 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395762
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48370
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Walls and Flotta
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: Stromness and South Isles
Parish: Walls And Flotta
Traditional County: Orkney
1898-1900 remodelling by W R Lethaby of earlier structures. Rectangular-plan walled garden formed by earlier 19th century cartshed to W and section of remodelled wall to E; N and S sides formed by former laundry (Gardener's Cottage) and Spinning Cottage respectively (see separate list descriptions).
CARTSHED: long, rectangular-plan, single storey structure with monopitch roof, aligned N/S. Coursed rubble roughly droved/stugged around openings. Stone slate roof with coped skews. Taller principal elevation facing inwards to E; formerly with 7 segmental-headed cart openings (2 to outer left now blocked with concrete blocks). Entrances to narrow N and S elevations.
REMODELLED WALL: aligned N/S; openings dressed/facing outward to E. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Squared slab coping. Wall stepped up around central gateway; steps up to round-arched opening with re-used roll-moulded architrave, probably of later/late 17th century date; carved scroll projects to centre above. Small flanking window openings; 2 window openings to outer left (both original/early openings). Outline of other former openings visible to W side.
A-Group with Melsetter House, Chapel, Lodge and Gatepiers, Kitchen Garden, Burial Enclosure, Estate Office, Gardener's Cottage, The Hall, Laundry House and Spinning Cottage. The earlier 19th century cartshed and wall to the E form an integral part of Lethaby's scheme for the remodelling of the estate buildings adjacent to Melsetter House. They are in line with the original plan of the former courtyard-plan steading on this site, the cartshed having formed its W range and the remains of an earlier range incorporated in the wall to the E (the moulded doorcase and scroll above it are thought to have been re-used from some part of the demolished sections of the steading). Lethaby's scheme shows sensitive handling of the earlier structures on the site, many being retained and sympathetically remodelled. Lethaby was one of the foremost exponents and promoters of the Arts and Crafts movement. The Melsetter Estate was purchased by Thomas Middlemore, a Birmingham industrialist in 1898. At that time it comprised the entire island of Hoy as well as the adjacent smaller islands of South Walls, Fara and Rysa. It had been the home of the Moodie family from the later 16th century until around the earlier 19th century. The remodelling/construction of the house and surrounding buildings at Melsetter was one of Lethaby's most important commissions. It is unusual in that it involved the redevelopment of an entire complex of buildings, which form a harmonious whole and are very much in keeping with local vernacular traditions.
Other nearby listed buildings