This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 58.4393 / 58°26'21"N
Longitude: -3.0871 / 3°5'13"W
OS Eastings: 336630
OS Northings: 950625
OS Grid: ND366506
Mapcode National: GBR L6RF.6JH
Mapcode Global: WH6DN.K45P
Plus Code: 9CCRCWQ7+P5
Entry Name: The Black Stairs, Bank Row, Wick
Listing Name: Bank Row, the Black Stairs
Listing Date: 5 February 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395810
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48390
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Wick and East Caithness
Traditional County: Caithness
Thomas Telford and James Bremner, circa 1820. Broad, steep flight of steps. Long, Caithness flagstone treads.
The A Group for Lower Pulteneytown comprises; 19-27 Bank Row (Wick Heritage Centre), The Round House, Harbour Place, Steven and Co storehouse, Harbour Quay, 6,7 Rose St, Old Fish Market, South Quay, storehouse, Telford Street, 2 Williamson Street.
The Group listing is in recognition of the exceptional group value of these buildings as the core of Thomas Telford's 1809 scheme for the new town plan of Pulteneytown for the British Fisheries Society. For further information see separate listing for the Round House, Harbour Place. A Group for Lower Pulteneytown comprising:
The Black Stairs were part of Telford's original plan for Pulteneytown linking the residential area above the bank, via Lower Dunbar Street, to the harbour below. The steps were, however, not begun until the 1820s. Their name The Black Stairs appears to be a local, popular one as it does not feature in Telford's plan, unlike the streets which remain named after BFS Directors.
Other nearby listed buildings