This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3686 / 56°22'6"N
Longitude: -3.85 / 3°50'59"W
OS Eastings: 285822
OS Northings: 721119
OS Grid: NN858211
Mapcode National: GBR 1G.2R1W
Mapcode Global: WH4N2.T6V4
Plus Code: 9C8R9592+C2
Entry Name: Ford Road, St Fillans Catholic Church and Presbytery
Listing Date: 20 February 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395891
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48471
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Andrew Heiton, 1871; presbytery 1902; porch added 1913, enlarged 1988 (see Notes). Plain gothic, rectangular-plan aisless church with apsed end, 4-bay nave and NW link to presbytery. Squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressing. Raised base course and corbelled eaves course. Lancet windows, some with trefoil headed detail. Hoodmould with label stops; coped 3-stage buttresses.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: low harled lean-to porch with timber-mullioned tripartite window below timbered-gablehead to centre, 2-leaf timber door with decorative ironwork hinges on inner return with decoratively-astragalled round-headed window to outer right return. 4 circular openings to large hoodmoulded circular recess in gablehead with cross-finialled stone bellcote at apex.
NE ELEVATION: decorative cast-iron finial to conically-roofed apsed elevation with hoodmoulded stone cross to centre and flanking small trefoil-headed windows.
SE ELEVATION: window to each bay of 4-bay nave with dividing buttresses, memorial tablet below outer right window worded 'THIS WINDOW WAS ERECTED BY HER FAMILY IN MEMORY OF IONE KEITH MURRAY WHO DIED 20TH FEBRUARY 1937'. 2 diminutive triangular roof ventilators (altered).
NW ELEVATION: 3 windows with dividing buttresses to centre, link section with shouldered stack and paired elongated circular cans (one retaining decorative conical cap) breaking eaves to left, and small out-of-character lean-to extension to right. Roof ventilator as above.
Multi-pane leaded glazing pattern, see below for stained glass; circular panes of toughened glass; small-glazing pattern to porch. Remaining windows stained glass, see Interior. Graded grey slates. Decorative paired ashlar stack; ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.
INTERIOR: fixed timber pews and boarded dadoes, pipe organ in gothic-detailed housing; hammerbeam roof. Former sacristy now additional seating to W (in link). Coloured, figurative glazing includes 'Sancte Fillan' and 'Ste Joannes Bapt' to sanctuary; memorial window (see SE elevation) with 'Virgin Mary' by R F Milli(gan?), Glasgow; 'Father James Fitzgerald/Golden Jubilee/1940-1980' to SE and 'Come Follow Me/Bicentenary/1799-1999' to NW.
LINK SECTION: single storey and raised basement with oversailing stair to timber door at left, trefoil-headed bipartite window to right and further door to outer left at basement.
PRESBYTERY: 2-storey, 3-bay, plain piend-roofed presbytery. Squared and snecked sandstone.
NE ELEVATION: symmetrical. Timber door with plate glass fanlight to centre at ground, single window above and bipartites to flanking bays at each floor.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows except to NE ground right and 1st floor. Graded grey slates; rooflights. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks with full complement of cans breaking eaves to SE and NW. Deeply overhanging eaves.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND IRONWORK: saddleback-coped squared rubble boundary walls with inset railings; pyramidally-capped square-section gatepiers; decorative iron overthrow ogee arch declaring 'SAINT FILLANS CATHOLIC CHURCH'.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Built at a cost of ?700, the foundation stone was laid on 13th April, 1871, and the church opened on 16th December of the same year. The organ together with some furniture and paintings came from Murthly Chapel. The porch, enlarged in 1988, utilised stone and slate from the former St Dominic's School which is commemorated by a carved stone dated '1896' set into the NW boundary wall. The original principal entrance, inside the porch, has a hoodmould and label stops.
Other nearby listed buildings