This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3718 / 56°22'18"N
Longitude: -3.8426 / 3°50'33"W
OS Eastings: 286291
OS Northings: 721463
OS Grid: NN862214
Mapcode National: GBR 1H.2DQP
Mapcode Global: WH4N2.Y3CN
Plus Code: 9C8R95C4+PX
Entry Name: 60 And 62 King Street, Crieff
Listing Name: 60 and 62 King Street and 45 and 47 Commissioner Street
Listing Date: 20 February 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395913
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48490
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
1889 and 1912. Tall 3-storey shop and tenement with 3-stage conical-roofed corner tower. Red bull-faced ashlar bands with red sandstone dressings. Shop cornice and eaves course. Tabbed architraved window with stylised keystones. Stone mullions and stop-chamfered arrises.
W (CORNER) ELEVATION: doorpiece to ground with marble columns and moulded capitals on ashlar dies flanking folding decorative ironwork gate, deep-set 2-leaf part-glazed timber doors etched with 'COMRIE' 'BUTCHER' and mosaic-tiled step; decorative keystone above giving way to fluted corbel and 4-light bowed bay with pilaster-effect dividing mullions to each floor, all surmounted by corniced conical tower with decorative cast-iron finial.
NW (KING STREET) ELEVATION: bays to right of centre with 2 fixed display windows over decorative metal grilles with dividing colonette and ashlar pilaster to left, all under deep cornice; single window to each floor above, that to 2nd floor with stone pediment above eaves with shield dated 1890. 2 further shops beyond to left with doors to centre and outer fixed display windows; bipartite window to 1st and 2nd floor right in panel-effect bay with moulded stylised keystones; full-height canted window in bay to left with monogrammed dividing band dated '1912'.
SW (COMMISSIONER STREET) ELEVATION: bays to left at ground floor with 3 fixed display windows as above, 2-leaf panelled timber door with decorative grilles to centre panels and deep fanlight in penultimate bay to right and further panelled timber door with deep plate glass fanlight to outer right, fluted pilaster beyond. Broad gabled bay over display windows with single window to each floor, dividing corbel course supporting gutter and arrowslit in gablehead with shouldered stack; canted 4-part oriel window over outer bays extending to 2nd floor with blocking course.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows; modern glazing to King Street centre and left bays above ground. Grey slates. Banded coped ashlar stacks with some cans; ashlar-coped skews with block skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: butcher's shop retains banded glazed ceramic tiles including tile pictures of animals, and stone shelving.
This property boasts a fine and rare survival of a traditional butchers shop. Crieff Burgh Council Minutes of 9th December, 1889 (item 6) record "plans of a house and shop to be erected at the corner of King Street and Commissioner Street by Mr John Irvine, Butcher, approved as regards foundation levels". It would seem from this early date that work was either delayed or (which seems more likely) there were two building phases involved.
Other nearby listed buildings