This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9599 / 55°57'35"N
Longitude: -3.2185 / 3°13'6"W
OS Eastings: 324026
OS Northings: 674769
OS Grid: NT240747
Mapcode National: GBR 8HC.K0
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.JGMD
Plus Code: 9C7RXQ5J+XJ
Entry Name: St Stephen's Free Church And Hall, Comely Bank Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: Comely Bank Road, St Stephen's Church (Church of Scotland) and Hall
Listing Date: 12 March 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395956
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48534
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverleith
Traditional County: Midlothian
JN Scott and A Lorne Campbell, 1901. Gothic church with pitch-roofed nave, lower pitch-roofed transepts and flat-roofed aisles; piend-roofed single storey hall complex with gothic windows to rear. Squared and snecked bull-faced red sandstone with polished dressings. Chamfered openings; angle buttresses.
S ELEVATION: steps to 2 2-leaf timber-panelled doors with decorative iron hinges in pointed-arched openings, contained in segmental-arched frame, flanked by small rectangular windows; large 6-light Tudor-arched window above. Decorative finials to gable.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: tall 2-light windows lighting aisles and smaller 3-light clerestorey windows lighting nave. 2 3-light windows to transepts. Flat-roofed porch (see Notes) to W with 2-leaf timber boarded door with decorative metal hinges in Tudor-arched surround. Polygonal stair tower to SE with small rectangular windows.
INTERIOR: compartmented hammerbeam roof. Tudor arches to aisles. Timber gallery to rear. Fixed pews. Curved reredos and dado panelling behind Elders' seating and recessed organ. Gothic communion table and font. Organ by JJ Binns of Leeds, 1902. Stained glass: 3-light window in W transept (War Memorial) by R Douglas McLundie of the Abbey Studio; E transept: 3-light window by George Garson, Edinburgh College of Art, 1968.
HALL COMPLEX: 2-leaf timber boarded door in pointed-arched surround flanked by 2-light gothic windows; swept-roofed ventilator to roof.
Perpendicular tracery and leaded glass to windows of church; 6-pane glazing with top hoppers to hall complex. Cast-iron down pipe with decorative hopper to hall. Stone skews. Grey slates.
Ecclesiastical building still in use as such. Prominently sited church, built for the former Wemyss Place United Free congregation, following a competition. The porch between the wide nave and the W transept was intended as the base of a tower.
Other nearby listed buildings