History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2-10 (Even Nos) Hallcraig Street, Airdrie Market Building

A Category C Listed Building in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8672 / 55°52'1"N

Longitude: -3.9803 / 3°58'49"W

OS Eastings: 276172

OS Northings: 665550

OS Grid: NS761655

Mapcode National: GBR 00NL.2M

Mapcode Global: WH4QB.TSSJ

Entry Name: 2-10 (Even Nos) Hallcraig Street, Airdrie Market Building

Listing Date: 21 March 2002

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395981

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48553

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Airdrie

County: North Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Airdrie Central

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Airdrie

Description

James Thomson, 1856. 2-storey, 5-bay, symmetrical, bowed corner former town market building. Painted ashlar sandstone. Pedimented parapet to central bay. Channelled pilasters. Base course, ground floor cornice below dividing band between floors, continuous cill course to upper storey, projecting cornice. Shouldered, moulded architraves to upper storey windows.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5-bay bowed elevation, symmetrical. Broad entrance to ground centre bay, stone mullioned bipartite window over, terminating in blocked parapet, segmentally-arched pediment with free-standing Airdrie coat-of-arms above, flanked by twin-bracketed coped stacks. Regular fenestration to outer double bays.

SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 6-bay, regular fenestration. Crowstepped nepus gable to centre of 3-bay block to right, garage entrance to ground floor outer right.

NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5-bay, small square windows to upper storey.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: obscured by abutting building.

Plate glass sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Coped skews. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: largely refurbished as bingo hall and amusements arcade.

Statement of Interest

Built as corn exchange and market by renowned local architect James Thomson and converted for use as a theatre/hippodrome/cinema in 1908. Its pilastered and pedimented frontage on a prominent bowed corner site is of particular note and adds interest to the wider streetscape. Currently operating as a bingo hall (2009).

List description updated as part of theTheatres Thematic Study 2010

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.