This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6729 / 56°40'22"N
Longitude: -3.1878 / 3°11'15"W
OS Eastings: 327312
OS Northings: 754085
OS Grid: NO273540
Mapcode National: GBR VD.BMFM
Mapcode Global: WH6P4.0J9W
Plus Code: 9C8RMRF6+4V
Entry Name: Stable Range, Main Lodge, Lintrathen Reservoir
Listing Name: Lintrathen Reservoir, Main Lodge Including Stable Courtyard and Archway, Entrance Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 7 May 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396033
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48618
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirriemuir and Dean
Traditional County: Angus
James Leslie CE, circa 1890. 2-storey with attic, 3-bay, asymmetrical castellated Scottish Baronial lodge house with crowstepped gables and crenellated stair tower to SW corner. Red sandstone courses with yellow ashlar margins. Long and short quoins and rybats. Base course, continuous string course between storeys, eaves course. Narrow rectangular windows.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: timber panelled door to centre, stugged roll-moulded reveal, flanking windows, shield bearing coat-of-arms above. Window to
right of 2nd storey, inset corbelled turret breaking eaves to left; Lombard frieze, cornice, conical roof with fish scale slates terminating in cast-iron thistle finial. Slightly advanced gabled bay to left. 3-light window to ground, corbelled canted oriel window to 2nd storey with crenellated parapet, corbelled projecting cill to small gable head window. 3-stage, circular-plan, engaged stair tower breaking eaves to right of centre, arrowslit to 3rd stage, corbelled out to crenellated parapet, flag pole to centre of flat roof.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: wallhead stack breaking eaves to left, gable breaking eaves to right, stack to apex of gable. Single storey gabled L-shaped range of offices abutting to right, courtyard enclosed by wall to S, crenellated, circular-plan pier to SW corner, pointed entrance arch to W return, coped, stepped parapet, cast-iron finial to apex supporting small coronet.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay. Regular fenestration to ground. Projecting, wallhead stack breaking eaves to centre of 2nd storey, large window to right, canted, corbelled oriel window to right of centre with crenellated parapet breaking eaves.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay. Corner tower to left, regular fenestration to gabled bay to right. Entrance arch to rear courtyard abutting to outer right.
Plate glass sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2002.
GATEPIERS AND GATES: quadrant wing walls terminating in tripartite arrangement of circular-plan gatepiers with bellcast caps and crenellated parapets over central segmental arch and flanking square-headed
side entrances. Cast-iron gates with scrollwork cresting to main centre gates bearing thistle motifs, dated 1873/1912.
Lintrathen loch and surrounding lands were bought by the Dundee Water Commissioners in 1873 to supply the city of Dundee. The water level in the loch was raised, embankments built and pipes laid under the river Isla towards Dundee. The principal civil engineer on the works was James Leslie CE, however, the lodge, landscaping and planting was designed and carried out by James Watson CE, both were employed by the Dundee Water Commission. A J Warden thought that the "the very handsome lodge, its useful adjuncts, its tasteful surroundings and comfortable interior are in fine keeping with the loch and with the grand scenery around it".
Other nearby listed buildings