This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3765 / 56°22'35"N
Longitude: -3.9831 / 3°58'59"W
OS Eastings: 277627
OS Northings: 722227
OS Grid: NN776222
Mapcode National: GBR 19.2C4K
Mapcode Global: WH4MT.SZGM
Entry Name: Station Road, St Serf's Episcopal Church Including Gates
Listing Date: 9 May 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396036
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48625
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
1958 encasing of 1884 structure designed by R T N Speir, with Mr Ewing of Muthill, architect, enlarged 1888 and with additional hall. Simple cruciform-plan aisless church with gabled porch, transepts and vestry, diminutive slated fleche and steeply-pitched roof. Harled brick with stone/concrete? cills. Some pointed-arch windows with timber tracery; timber mullions.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 recessed bays to centre with 4-light window to right, 2 bipartites to left (all abutting eaves) and cross-finialled leaded fleche to centre of roof ridge. Gabled porch to
left with broad 2-leaf boarded timber door under hoodmould; gabled transept to right with deep-set raised-centre tripartite window and small coloured glass bipartite on return to right.
NE ELEVATION: lower gabled chancel projecting at centre with 5-light traceried window and single window on return to left. Further bay (vestry) to right with door and window beyond.
NW ELEVATION: variety of elements to altered elevation largely mirroring that to SE but including later gabled hall projecting at outer right.
SW ELEVATION: replacement pointed-arch window to gabled bay off-centre right, further window to left.
Largely leaded multi-pane glazing patterns in casement windows (some stained glass, see INTERIOR). Grey slates. Plain bargeboarding.
INTERIOR: moulded cornices and fine open timbered roof. Figurative stained glass memorial window to NE and 2 coloured glass lights inserted into replacement window at SW; figurative stained glass in side chapel. Polygonal stone font with single relief-carved panel.
GATES: decorative cross-finialled ironwork gates.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. A comparatively humble, picturesque building with an interesting history and striking, simple interior. The original timber structure, with red pantiles and a small belfry, was erected on a site donated by Colonel Williams of Lawers. It cost ?250 with most of the furnishings gifted by local gentry. The small mission church was dedicated to St Fillan on 5th August, 1884, by the Bishop of the diocese, the Right Rev Charles Wordsworth and originally known as such. By 1892 the church was known as St Serf's, probably arising from confusion with the name of the nearby St Fillan's village, and had become a charge in its own right by 1911. In 1937 a new stone church was planned, but not executed until 1958 when the original timber church was encased with bricks and harl, and the pantile roof replaced with grey slate. The new building was dedicated to St Serf by the Bishop of the diocese on 22nd January, 1958.
Other nearby listed buildings