This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7641 / 55°45'50"N
Longitude: -4.1732 / 4°10'23"W
OS Eastings: 263742
OS Northings: 654444
OS Grid: NS637544
Mapcode National: GBR 3W.9SJ3
Mapcode Global: WH4QT.VDY0
Entry Name: Priestknowe Roundabout, Hunter Memorial
Listing Date: 13 June 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396087
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48681
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride Central North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Benno Schotz, 1937. Memorial to brothers Drs. William and John Hunter.
Willam and John Hunter were born at Long Calderwood: William was born in 1718 and John 1728. Both left East Kilbride for London and became respected doctors. William had studied at Edinburgh University before venturing south in 1740 to work in the practice of William Smellie, known as the 'man-midwife'. William Hunter became a famed teacher of anatomy believing that a thorough knowledge of anatomy was essential to the practice of good medicine. He became a very popular teacher, most probably because every student was given the opportunity to dissect a human corpse. William's insistence on the study of anatomy strongly implicates him the activities of the 'resurrectionists' as officially only a handful of corpses were provided every year for surgical study. William's main achievement as a surgeon was his pioneering work in gynaecology; in 1774 he published 'The Anatomy of the Human Gravid Uterus'. At his death in 1783, he bequeathed his eclectic collections, which included anatomical specimens, 12,000 books, 6,000 manuscripts, coins and art as well as an ethnographic collection, to Glasgow University. These collections are housed in the University's Hunterian Museum, which was built with money that William had left the university. John Hunter preferred the practical side of medicine and was constantly investigating new avenues. He arrived in London in 1748 with no formal education and became his brother's anatomical assistant. His enquiring mind led him into active service as a surgeon during the Seven Year War, and the result of his time in the field was his book, published in 1794, 'A Treatise on the Blood, Inflammation and Gun-Shot Wounds'. John became a pre-eminent surgeon, he was Surgeon Extraordinary to King George III (his elder brother had been Surgeon Extraordinary to Queen Charlotte), but his interests went beyond the human body. In 1771 he published 'A Treatise on the Natural History of Human Teeth' and ten years later was a co-founder of the first Royal Veterinary College. He died ten years after his elder brother and was buried in Westminster Abbey. Like William, John left a vast collection and this was bequeathed to the Royal College of Surgeons in London.
Other nearby listed buildings