This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6092 / 55°36'33"N
Longitude: -4.4983 / 4°29'53"W
OS Eastings: 242730
OS Northings: 637902
OS Grid: NS427379
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MQHS
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.W84Q
Entry Name: 42 Bank Street
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396167
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48709
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Gabriel Andrew of Andrew & Newlands, 1902. Built for Mackintosh and Reid, merchants. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular freestyle Renaissance office building with 1st floor bay domed tower leading to higher rear gable. Dressed red Ballochmyle stone to front with coursed red sandstone to sides and rear. Dressed red sandstone ashlar door surround, cills and band course. Scrolled and beaked putts.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 stone steps leading to central door surround: deep base course, inset Ionic columns supporting architraved scrolled brackets, broken swept ogee pediment with engaged ogee pilaster between; timber door with separate 4-pane fanlight surmounting. Tripartite window to flanking bays: sills curved into base course, full-height central window, projecting architraved transoms breaking outer windows. Paired architraved band courses with swept chamfer between to right corner, upper course forming sills of 1st floor windows: paired windows to left; arched window in central recess with alternate rounded and columned quoins; single window to right, 3-light canted bay to corner tower with alternate rounded and columned quoins flanking; paired band courses above; over-sailing slated dome, wrought-iron decorative weathervane surmounting.
NE ELEVATION: adjoining brick gable wall of 36 - 40 Bank Street (listed separately).
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001. Within private car park.
SW ELEVATION: coursed rubble boundary wall of Bank of Scotland (No. 46) concealing most of ground floor elevation; polished sandstone with band course and side of bay, domed tower to 1st storey left, coursed red sandstone to remainder and gablehead.
Plate glass windows divided by stone mullions and astragals to ground floor. Replacement PVCu glazing to upper storey. Piended grey slate roof with overhanging eaves. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Stone base leading to brick stack with projecting neck cope and 4 plain cans.
INTERIOR: office spaces refurbished, stone staircase to centre. Original skirting boards, some interior timber doors and plaster cornices.
Part of a B-Group with Laigh Kirk, Kirkyard and Bank Street. The street is one of the older parts of the town. Although developed in the 18th century from the Kirkshaugh, retail and residential buildings occurred primarily from the mid-19th century. This building is adjacent to the Bank of Scotland, which was originally a pair of semi-detached villas. The site No. 42 is partially built on was the garden of the villa situated on the left. The ground adjacent is now the car park for the bank. No. 42 was built for mercantile purposes for Mackintosh and Rain in the early 20th century and is currently an estate agents. This building was designed by Gabriel Andrew, one half of the local architectural firm Andrew & Newlands (with William Newlands), based at 84 Portland Street. Andrew was a well-established architect with many commercial commissions under his belt, including the Whisky bonds and office complex for Johnnie Walker in Strand Street. He designed many of the other buildings in this street including 37, 36 - 40 and 58 - 60, mostly in 1902. Andrew and Newlands moved their practice office into 37 Bank Street in 1904. Number 42 is a good example of little-altered business premises within the historic heart of the town.
Other nearby listed buildings