This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6104 / 55°36'37"N
Longitude: -4.487 / 4°29'13"W
OS Eastings: 243444
OS Northings: 638007
OS Grid: NS434380
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.MM13
Mapcode Global: WH3QB.17LT
Plus Code: 9C7QJG67+55
Entry Name: Evelyn Villas, 2 Holehouse Road, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: Holehouse Road, 1 - 4 (Inclusive Numbers) Evelyn Villas, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396193
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48729
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Gabriel Andrew of Andrew & Newlands, 1903. 2 pairs of semi-detached 2-storey, 2-bay hybrid Art & Crafts / Glasgow style L-plan villas. Harled and painted with red Ballochmyle ashlar bays and dressings.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: Nos. 1 & 3: to 2nd bay, pilastered entrance arch, impost moulding supporting projecting hoodmould with oculus label-stops, brass bell-push on left pilaster; step leading to deeply recessed timber panelled door, glazed to upper portion, timber and glazed panels to flanks, swept broken pediment surmounting. Slightly arched cantilevered architraved canopy held by central bracket and semi-scrolled finial surmounting entrance. To left 2-storey, 5-light canted bay with deep stone base course, transoms and mullions, sill band to 1st floor, swept faux battlements breaking through eaves. To 1st floor, 2nd bay: high band course supporting semi-circular arched window, stone voussoirs, oculus detail at springing line, projecting moulded keystone. Nos. 2 & 4: as before, but plan reversed.
W ELEVATION: Nos. 2 & 4 adjoining neighbouring villas; to Nos. 1 & 3 blind gable end with overhanging eaves and wallhead stack with curved base.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.
E ELEVATION: Nos. 1 & 3 adjoining neighbouring villas; to Nos. 2 & 4 blind gable end with overhanging eaves and wallhead stack with curved base.
Original glazing to principal elevation of No. 1: fixed 3-pane upper timber lights, single pane sash and case windows to lower lights; 3-light semi-circular casement window with hinged light to middle. Replacement PVCu glazing to other 3 villas. Single tall lights flanking doors, square light to doors with arched upper and lower edges. Piended red clay plain tile roofs with overhanging bracketed timber eaves, fairly shallow pitch. Terracotta ridge tiles with ornate ball and stalk finials to apexes. Replacement aluminium flashing around projections of bays. Velux roof lights to villa No.4 To outer gable of property, single harled and painted wallhead stack gently curving out to base, 4 high terracotta pots; all missing at villa No. 2. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, concealed gutters and ornate hoppers.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: to each pair of houses: red sandstone base course, harled and painted walls with red sandstone copes arching up into 3 flat plinths, middle of which supports an open-topped segmental pediment, ends of wall arch up and wrap around cylindrical harled gatepiers with deep neck copes, projecting cornice and rounded caps. Matching single pier to centre with above walls to flanks. Harled and painted, stepped arched wall to E & W of properties with single matching piers
Hollis Road, now Holehouse Road originally led out of the town to the north east towards a farm named Holehouse. Since it opened, Kilmarnock has gradually expanded and the road now leads to a housing estate. The gradual urbanisation of the area occurred in the last decade of the 19th century when the construction of De Walden Terrace commenced. By 1910, individual villas had appeared on the south side of Holehouse Road, with the north side being dominated by the remarkable looking Evelyn Villas. This pair of semi-detached houses are by Gabriel Andrew, of local architectural firm Andrew & Newlands. Andrew was better known for his commercial buildings within the town centre of Kilmarnock. He was prolific at the end of the 19th century, especially in conjunction with the whisky firm Johnnie Walker & Sons, for whom he was the retained architect. He designed the Whisky bonds in Croft Street and at least 3 commercial properties in Bank Street. He is not primarily remembered for his domestic designs, although the adjacent properties, De Walden Terrace, are also by him as are a villa and a pair of cottages on Holehouse Road. These villas attracted upper middle class owners and professionals. By the 1930's, Number 1 was occupied by the Rev. J Anderson, MA, PHD, the congregational minister of the Winton Place E.U. Church. At number 2 lived a "captain and master mariner" by the name of George Paterson. George McMurray, a draper and James Richmond, lace manufacturer at Flemings & Co lived in Numbers 3 & 4 respectively. Evelyn Villas are listed as good examples of a local architect's domestic work, and are still in residential use today.
Other nearby listed buildings