This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6068 / 55°36'24"N
Longitude: -4.4921 / 4°29'31"W
OS Eastings: 243107
OS Northings: 637622
OS Grid: NS431376
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MZW9
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.ZB1K
Entry Name: Loanhead Street, Loanhead School, Including Janitor's House, Boundary Walls, Railings, Gatepiers and Playshelters
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396227
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48755
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
R S Ingram, 1903-5. 3-storey classical school; 2 elevations of 11 bays; 2 elevations of 7 bays. Longer elevations have projecting 9-bay central section with central 3-bays projecting further; shorter elevations have projecting central 3 bays with 2-bays flanking. Base course; banded rustication to ground floor; band course at 1st floor; architraved 1st floor windows with aprons; raised cills to 2nd floor windows; eaves course; projecting eaves; triangular pediment surmounting each elevation. Squared and snecked Ballochmyle stone.
SE (ORIGINAL ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 7-bay elevation with regular fenestration; modern extension to right.
SW ELEVATION: 11-bay elevation with regular fenestration.
NW ELEVATION: 7-bay elevation with regular fenestration pattern; door with steps in 2nd bay from right.
NE ELEVATION: 11-bay elevation with regular fenestration; modern extension to left.
4-pane sash and case windows. Slate roof; straight skews.
INTERIOR: not see 2001.
JANITOR'S HOUSE: single storey and attic, 3-bay house with single storey, 7-bay rear range. Banded rustication to ground floor; 1st floor band course; eaves course.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central boarded door; flanking boarded windows; 2 pane-less attic windows with pediment dormer gables; 2 boarded windows on left return; blind shield on gable-head; blind link in centre of rear elevation connects to rear range.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: central 3-bay pedimented projection with regular fenestration and single windows on returns; blocked window and single window to left; 2 single windows to right; 3 single windows on right return; left return not seen 2001.
4-pane sash and case glazing to rear range. Slate roof; straight skews; tall coped stack.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
BOUNDARY WALL, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: small coped boundary wall with cast-iron railings with spear finials. Square gate piers, original half-ball crowns missing; green cast-iron gates.
PLAYSHELTERS: to left, range of open fronted lean-to playshelters with cast-iron columns, adjoining SW boundary wall; to right, enclosed shelters with 3 ventilation fleches to roofline.
B-Group with Kilmarnock Academy, Kilmarnock Technical School and St Columba's Primary School. Loanhead School was opened in 1905 by the Kilmarnock School Board; the foundation stone had been laid by the Scottish-American steel magnate Andrew Carnegie in 1903. The school was originally intended to accommodate 1100 pupils over the age of 12, who had all passed the qualifying exam. However, within a few years it had become, and remains, a primary school.
Other nearby listed buildings