This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6084 / 55°36'30"N
Longitude: -4.4888 / 4°29'19"W
OS Eastings: 243325
OS Northings: 637782
OS Grid: NS433377
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.MLNH
Mapcode Global: WH3QB.09RD
Plus Code: 9C7QJG56+8F
Entry Name: 47 And 47A London Road, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 47 and 47a London Road
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396228
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48756
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1890. 2-storey, 3-bay multi-gabled Gothic Revival villa. Bull-faced Ballochmyle red sandstone ashlar with polished ashlar dressings to principal elevation; coursed red Ballochmyle rubble sides, polished ashlar dressings. Tudor arched windows.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance: pair of stepped buttresses forming door surround, 5-light arched hoodmoulded fanlight, small round plaque to gablehead, saw-tooth skews. Hoodmould forming part of band course; bipartite lancet within shallow gablehead to 1st floor above door. Advanced bay to right, bipartite lancet within rectangular surround to ground floor, hoodmoulded bipartite lancets within arched surround to 1st floor; moulded square panel with blind shield detail to gable head. To left bay at both storeys, 3-sided canted bay window: architraved segmental-arched bipartite window to centre, matching single lights to sides, geometric hoodmould to 1st floor window terminating in engaged ball finial, shallow gablehead surmounting.
SE ELEVATION: main gable end to right: single window to ground floor left, band course, blind gable to rest of elevation. Slightly projecting smaller gable adjoining to left: hoodmoulded bipartite window with heavy stone transoms and mullions to both storeys; canted return to right with segmental-arched window to both storeys.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.
NW ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated gable end with gablehead stack; much later single storey porched extension to ground floor right
To principal elevation: Tudor arched windows divided into 2 separate panes with stone transoms. To upper lights: arch / segmental arched timber surrounds containing panel of stained glass of square quarry. To lower lights, single pane timber sash and case window. Upper storey with vertically pivoting PVCu glazing to all lower lights. 2-pane plain glazing to ground floor side elevation of property. Piended grey slate roof. Terracotta cockscomb ridge tiles with scroll finial to all gable ends. Metal flashing and valleys. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, cone shaped hoppers. Overhanging partially bracketed eaves with plain and crossed arch timber bargeboards to gableheads, plain barge boards to main gables. Stepped red brick gablehead stacks to main house, projecting ashlar neck cope, 4 plain terracotta cans to E gable, 2 to W gable.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.
Leading out of Kilmarnock to the east is London Road. Long with Portland and Dundonald Roads, London Road was viewed as a fashionable address in the 19th century. Originally, a few classical villas were set along this semi-rural road with open aspects to the north and south. Prosperous Victorians bought land and had villas designed and built as symbols of their wealth. The 1880 map shows the south side of London Road as still predominantly rural. By the 2nd Edition OS map of 1896, villas have been constructed. This villa does not fully resemble any of the local architects' style and it is believed to have been designed by an architect from perhaps Glasgow or Ayr. The use of materials is similar to the Grange Free Church in Woodstock Street (1877-79) by W & RS Ingram and the later Henderson Church in London Road (1907) by Thomas Smellie. The ecclesiastical use of gothic is apparent in this building. It uses the style practically rather than for purely decorative purposes. The paired Tudor windows and arched bay windows contain coloured glass panes, and the hoodmoulded windows remain true to original forms. Listed as a good example 19th century Gothic revival villa.
Other nearby listed buildings