This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.5236 / 55°31'24"N
Longitude: -3.4095 / 3°24'34"W
OS Eastings: 311114
OS Northings: 626438
OS Grid: NT111264
Mapcode National: GBR 44MK.NS
Mapcode Global: WH6VM.LFND
Plus Code: 9C7RGHFR+C6
Entry Name: Crook Inn, Crook Hill
Listing Name: Crook Inn with Railings and Ancillary Buildings
Listing Date: 19 December 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396543
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49036
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Early 19th century, incorporating earlier fabric; 1935 additions and interior remodelling by James Taylor. 2-storey 3-bay piend-roofed hotel, with pitched-roofed annex to rear, linked by flat-roofed single storey 1935 addition; 2-storey 5-bay piend-roofed house to rear (W); L-shaped single storey ancillary building to SW. Stonework painted white, dressings and timber black.
E ELEVATION: 3-bay; base course; cill band at 1st floor level. Boarded timber door to centre with 2-pane fanlight and cornice above; regularly fenestrated.
2 single windows of left bay of E elevation of rear annex visible, and dormer window breaking eaves of 2nd bay from left; remainder obscured by 1930's addition.
S ELEVATION: 2-bay S elevation of piend-roofed main block to right; windows with louvred shutters at 1st floor; ground floor obscured by 5-bay single storey 1930's addition: 2-leaf glazed timber door in moulded surround in penultimate bay to right, flanked by curved bays with metal-framed curved glazing; 2 further bays to left with metal-framed glazing; metal balcony (with crook) above, curved to right, with painted wrought-iron balustrade. Blind gabled bay to left (S elevation of annex). Further single storey extension to left.
W ELEVATION: mainly obscured by single storey extension.
N ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated 2-bay N elevation of piend-roofed main block to left. Gabled N elevation of annex to right, with 3-bay single storey extension at ground floor; timber-panelled door with curved projection above to right; 2 tripartite windows with metal-framed glazing to left, and 2 further narrow windows to outer left.
INTERIOR: 1930's timber panelling to reception area and sweeping stair banister with metal hand rail; glazed brick round-arched chimneypiece. 2-tone green and yellow vitreous panels to main bathroom. Art Deco basins and toilets in ladies toilets; 2-tone blue vitreous wall panels with black frame and matching mirrors; blue and black Deco weighing machine. Art Deco basins and urinal in gentleman's toilets; cream vitreous wall panels with red and black frames and matching mirrors.
RAILINGS: swagged wrought-iron railings in garden with tripartite circular finials and crook-shaped posts.
HOUSE AT REAR: 2-storey 5-bay house: rubble construction with later openings (windows, porch etc) to ground; timber-clad with modern windows at 1st floor.
L-SHAPED ANCILLARY BUILDING: single storey piend-roofed outbuilding; white-painted rubble; altered openings.
Small-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to main block; metal-framed lying-pane glazing to 1930's additions. Dark grey slates; lead flashings. Cast-iron down pipes and rhones. Corniced chimneys (painted) with circular grey/ black cans.
Strang notes it as the 'oldest licensed premises in Scotland', 'in existence around 1604'. Notable now for its stylish 'roadhouse-style' Art Deco additions of 1936.
Other nearby listed buildings