This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0768 / 56°4'36"N
Longitude: -3.7162 / 3°42'58"W
OS Eastings: 293280
OS Northings: 688441
OS Grid: NS932884
Mapcode National: GBR 1M.P542
Mapcode Global: WH5QM.WJL8
Plus Code: 9C8R37GM+PG
Entry Name: Walled Garden Including Glasshouses And Sundial, Tulliallan Castle
Listing Name: Kincardine, Tulliallan Castle (Scottish Police College), Walled Garden Including Conservatory and Glasshouses, Potting Shed, Free Standing Glasshouse, Boiler House, Boundary Walls and Sundial
Listing Date: 19 December 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396544
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49037
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
Early 19th century square-plan walled kitchen garden (approximately 89m by 96m); extensive range of Mackenzie & Moncur Ltd circa 1907 glasshouses and lean-to potting shed; remnants of early 19th century surrounding boundary walls also enclosing structures of various dates including potting shed, glasshouse, and boiler house to N and former orchard to W. Central E/W wall bisecting garden into roughly equal N and S sections (S section covered with Tarmac for car parking facility).
WALLED GARDEN: Flemish garden-wall bond red brick walls. Droved saddle-backed sandstone ashlar coping. N wall (formerly heated): high wall; slightly advanced coped sections to E and W on N side at mid-wall height. 2 segmental arched chimney flues (now blocked) to E and W; whitewashed to S side (for glasshouses). W wall slopes to N to meet raised N wall; E wall stepped to N. 2 segmental arched door openings to N, E and W walls, and to E and W ends of central dividing wall, most now blocked (that to N of E wall enlarged with 2-leaf timber barn doors). Large modern opening to S wall (to admit cars); original central opening to central dividing wall narrowed and framed with stone ball finials.
CONSERVATORY and GLASSHOUSES (to S side of N wall): span entire width of N wall; symmetrical with central canted 2-stage conservatory with 4 original cast-iron load-bearing columns; decorated cast-iron staging;
decorative wrought-iron finial. Flanking lean-to glasshouses of 3 sections (former peach and pear houses to single outer sections; vine houses to inner double sections) set on low brick bases. Timber astragal glazing (renewed 1995-2001). Late 19th century coal-powered heating system (later converted to oil) with double and single flow and return cast-iron pipes, lattice floor grilles, pierced angle brackets, winding gear, some original guttering; teak framing; rectangular slate water troughs.
POTTING SHED: lean-to rectangular-plan shed off-centre left to N side of N wall; glazed timber-panelled door with side lights leading to conservatory and glasshouses; 7 linked metal windows to left; 2 windows to right (outer window blocked); doors to right and left returns. Red brick; slate roof. Long workbench and lavatories (former offices) to interior. Underfloor heating continues from glasshouses.
GLASSHOUSE (to N): Mackenzie & Moncur Ltd, late 19th to early 20th century. Rectangular-plan, pitched roof teak glasshouse on low brick base. Glazed panel door to W. Pierced cast-iron angle brackets; some original cast-iron guttering; wrought-iron finial to E; Mackenzie & Moncur company label fixed to inside of door.
BOILER HOUSE (to N of Walled Garden): single storey and basement, rectangular-plan lean-to boiler house. S and E elevations part of boundary wall; brick to N and W. Corrugated sheet roof; brick square-plan stack to N. Original piping and flues to interior.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped random rubble walls to N and W of Walled Garden (former orchard to W).
SUNDIAL: fluted stone baluster; hexagonal table dial and base. Presentation plaque dated '1961'. Base dated '1904'.
A-group with Tulliallan Castle, Tulliallan Doocot, Keith Mausoleum and Churchyard, and Blackhall Lodge (see separate listings). This is the kitchen garden for Tulliallan Castle (lying to the SE) built 1818-1820 for the Hon George Keith Elphinstone (1747-1823). The present garden is located to the NE of Blackhall Farm which probably became the Court Offices of Viscount Keith at the same time that the walled garden was developed in the early 19th century. It is possible that this garden was originally related to Tulliallan Old Parish Church (see separate listing) and manse to the N of the church. The 1st edition OS map indicates that there were two small glasshouse ranges along the S face of the N wall, a semicircular glasshouse in the NE corner, and a single range along the S face of the E/W centre dividing wall (white-washed brick still in evidence). The OS map of 1895 illustrates an extensive range of glasshouses along the S face of the N wall which were probably
the first range of the Mackenzie & Moncur Ltd hothouses, of plainer design. The estate was acquired in 1901 by Sir James Sivewright who carried out much new building. The circa 1907 glasshouses, which are prime and rare examples of their type, are virtually unaltered and have functioned efficiently for almost 100 years as the gardens were later run on a semi-commercial basis for the Scottish Police College (opened 1954).
This walled garden, intrinsically linked to the history of Tulliallan Castle, maintains most of its character and original structural fabric although a car park has lately overtaken its S portion encroaching
upon the S and E walls. The head gardener retired in September 2002 and the garden is scheduled to close by the end of 2002.
Other nearby listed buildings