History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

12 and 13 Earlston Place with Retaining Wall

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9574 / 55°57'26"N

Longitude: -3.1669 / 3°10'0"W

OS Eastings: 327238

OS Northings: 674430

OS Grid: NT272744

Mapcode National: GBR 8VC.0Y

Mapcode Global: WH6SM.BJ5C

Entry Name: 12 and 13 Earlston Place with Retaining Wall

Listing Date: 19 December 2002

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396614

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49052

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Craigentinny/Duddingston

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Leith

Description

Peter L Henderson, 1882. 3-storey and attic, 6-bay tenement block with ogee-roofed octagonal corner turret, and shop (former bank) to ground floor. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings (polished grey and black granite facing to shop). Continuous cornice and fascia to ground floor; cill course to 3rd floor; eaves cornice. Round-arched openings to shop; 2-leaf timber panelled door with plate glass fanlight and brass handles to centre of shop. Timber panelled door with plate glass fanlight in moulded, pilastered surround to right. Bipartite windows and piend-roofed dormer to outer right bay. Curvilinear gable flanking wallhead stack to 2 bays to centre; windows flanked by pilasters corbelled out at 1st and 2nd floors. Canted corner to SW at 2nd floor, window flanked by colonettes; finialled pedimented gable to dormer flanking corner turret.

Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof, gabled. Corniced stacks, cylindrical cans.

RETAINING WALL: W gable continuing down to form retaining wall in adjacent railway cutting.

Statement of Interest

Forming a pair with the slightly later 14-15 Earlston Place, these tenements form a striking landmark on an important route into Edinburgh. They were built for Miller and Co, who owned the adjacent foundry and the ground floor was originally used as their office.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.