History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4, 6 and 8 Easter Road, Edinburgh

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.9579 / 55°57'28"N

Longitude: -3.1717 / 3°10'18"W

OS Eastings: 326939

OS Northings: 674495

OS Grid: NT269744

Mapcode National: GBR 8TC.1R

Mapcode Global: WH6SM.7HXY

Plus Code: 9C7RXR5H+58

Entry Name: 4, 6 and 8 Easter Road, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 4, 6 and 8 Easter Road, Edinburgh

Listing Date: 19 December 2002

Last Amended: 15 June 2018

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396617

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49055

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Leith Walk

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in


1879. 3-storey, 4-bay tenement with balustraded parapet and dated aedicule; modern shops to ground floor. Coursed ashar. Cill courses to 1st and 2nd floors; eaves cornice and parapet (solid to centre) with square-section balusters. Chamfered surrounds to windows; triangular pediments to 1st floor; bipartite windows in slightly advanced outer bays. Slightly advanced 3-bay section to centre with decorative wrought-iron balcony to 1st floor and pedimented panel, dated 1879, flanked by scrolls above parapet.

Predominantly plate glass in sash and case windows. Grey slate to piended roof. Coped stacks with some clay cans.

Statement of Interest

This building was the frontpiece of James Dunbar's Aerated Water Manufactory. It contained offices for the works and a house. The machine house (demolished), which had been built slightly earlier, was to the rear of the plot on Maryfield. A smaller 2-storey building by Sutherland and Walker was originally intended for this site, and there are plans for it in the Dean of Guild dated 23 February 1877. These plans were not implemented, and were evidently replaced by the present building, which is a storey higher. This block of land was originally called Maryfield, after Maryfield House which stood next door, and the address given on the Post Office Directory is 14 Maryfield.

Statutory Address updated 2018. Previously listed as 8 -10 (Even Numbers) Easter Road

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.