This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9573 / 55°57'26"N
Longitude: -3.1706 / 3°10'14"W
OS Eastings: 327006
OS Northings: 674423
OS Grid: NT270744
Mapcode National: GBR 8TC.7Z
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.8JFF
Plus Code: 9C7RXR4H+WP
Entry Name: 41, 43, 45, 47, 49 Montrose Terrace, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 41-49 (Odd Numbers) Montrose Terrace
Listing Date: 28 August 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396624
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49061
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Craigentinny/Duddingston
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1820. 3-storey and attic plain classical block; central stair flanked by 4-bay blocks with later shops to ground floor (2 bays to centre slightly recessed). Coursed ashlar. Band course, cill courses to 1st and 2nd floors, string course to 2nd floor, eaves course and blocking course. Regularly fenestrated. Later door to flats with plate glass fanlight. Continuous cornice and fascia to 4-bay shop front to right; ionic pilasters dividing bays; 2-leaf timber-boarded storm door with round-arched fanlight to outer right. Modern shop fronts to left 5 timber dormers to attic.
Predominantly plate glass and 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates; ashlar coped skews. Corniced ridge stacks with circular cans.
Part of a good run of early 19th century tenement blocks, in largely unaltered condition, on an important route into central Edinburgh. The Easterly end of the street also appears on the edge of Thomas Brown's Plan of the City of Edinburgh (revised by John Wood), 1823. The street was originally called Norton Place as these tenements were built on land belonging to Baron Norton, whose house stood on the site now occupied by Abbeyhill primary school. Baron Norton was born Hon. Fletcher Norton of Grantley in Yorkshire. He was made Attorney General of England in 1762 and elevated to the Peerage in 1782. He later moved to Edinburgh, where he was Baron of the Exchequer for 44 years, until his death in 1820.
Other nearby listed buildings