This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9509 / 55°57'3"N
Longitude: -3.1836 / 3°11'0"W
OS Eastings: 326187
OS Northings: 673726
OS Grid: NT261737
Mapcode National: GBR 8QG.M8
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.2P9B
Plus Code: 9C7RXR28+9H
Entry Name: Edinburgh School Of English, 271 Canongate, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 271 Canongate, Former Canongate United Presbyterian Church, Including Boundary Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 24 January 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396642
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49077
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Built 1869. Plain, Gothic 2-storey and basement former church building on sloping site. 5 bays to S (on Canongate); pointed-arched doorway with timber 2-leaf boarded door and continuous hoodmould; flanking groups of 3 short cusped, hoodmoulded ground floor windows; recessed outer bays with small single hoodmoulded 1st floor windows. Paired cusped lancets to 1st floor, 2 to centre with trefoils and foiled oculus above all within hoodmould, those to left and right with plain oculus and hoodmould above, hoodmoulds all with foliate carved stops. Coursed cream sandstone to S, rubble to W; dressed chamfered margins, polished to S with long and short quoins. Base course, string course between ground and 1st floor to S. Flat skews; carved skewputts.
W (CRANSTON STREET) ELEVATION: 7 bays. Advanced 3-bay section to right with 3 pairs of cusped hoodmoulded windows, 3 single windows above. Geometric traceried windows at ground to left; clerestorey above. Timber boarded door to basement.
Non-traditional glazing; original leaded glazing to oculi at S; Velux-type windows to attic. Grey slate roof; coped apex stacks; decorative wallhead stack to W.
BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: low coped sandstone walls to Canongate and Cranston Street; cast-iron railings over.
INTERIOR: modern interior with mezzanine levels; converted attic.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Now in use as the Edinburgh School of English and refurbished around 1990 for this purpose. The building is listed for its value to the streetscape. The courtyard garden enclosed by the boundary wall provides a green space with a mature tree and low planting.
Other nearby listed buildings