This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0099 / 56°0'35"N
Longitude: -3.3987 / 3°23'55"W
OS Eastings: 312886
OS Northings: 680550
OS Grid: NT128805
Mapcode National: GBR 20.TBF0
Mapcode Global: WH6S9.R6RJ
Plus Code: 9C8R2J52+XG
Entry Name: Seabank, Main Street, North Queensferry
Listing Name: North Queensferry, Ferry Road, Seabank Cottage Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 27 March 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396743
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49171
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
1795. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan house; later 20th century flat-roofed extension to N. Random rubble, stone cills. Sited on ground falling to S.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical. Central pitched and canted single storey stone porch, central timber boarded door, flanked by windows on canted corner and right and left returns; ground floor windows to outer bays; 3 1st floor windows close to eaves.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 1st floor window to left; ground floor window to right; door at far right, opening into N extension; small square attic window to right.
N ELEVATION: former boundary wall raised and adapted as part of single storey extension. Large, square modern plate glass window set behind steel bars to left; small square modern plate glass window to left.
W ELEVATION: not seen, 2002.
Predominantly 12- and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Pitched roof, reconstituted concrete tiles; ashlar coped skews; beaked skewputts; coped and cement-rendered gablehead stacks; octagonal clay cans.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2002
BOUNDARY WALLS: high coped random rubble wall; timber boarded door off street to N; rubble sea defence boundary wall to S.
Seabank Cottage is said to be the earliest existing dwelling in the W part of North Queensferry village and is situated on strategic site along the Fife Coast. Purchased by the Forth Ferry Trustees for #260-9-1 pounds Sterling in 1810 as the private residence for the newly appointed superintendent of the Queensferry Passage, Captain James Scott (1767-1850), who retired in 1839. The house was chosen because it afforded a complete view of the passage. Scott was instrumental in introducing the steamer service from South Queensferry to North Queensferry and helped design the Queen Margaret, launched in 1821.
Other nearby listed buildings