History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

7, the Ward, Strathaven

A Category C Listed Building in Avondale and Stonehouse, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.678 / 55°40'40"N

Longitude: -4.0643 / 4°3'51"W

OS Eastings: 270288

OS Northings: 644656

OS Grid: NS702446

Mapcode National: GBR 021S.WF

Mapcode Global: WH4R8.JKT0

Entry Name: 7, the Ward, Strathaven

Listing Date: 12 May 2003

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396788

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49197

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Avondale

County: South Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Avondale and Stonehouse

Parish: Avondale

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Strathaven

Description

Circa 1870. Single storey, 5-bay beaming shop (see Notes). Door to centre L flanked by 2 blocked window openings; door to centre R with inscribed lintel (see Notes) plus further blocked window opening to outer R. Squared and snecked yellow sandstone rubble with raised cills; droved margins. Roughcast to rear with 2 doors to centre; blocked windows opening to L and R.

Re-roofed with asbestos cement tiles to imitate original slates; corniced ashlar end stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen (2003).

Statement of Interest

Listed for historical significance in relation to Strathaven?s weaving history. Strathaven was a small but important weaving centre during the 18th and 19th centuries. Wool, linen and cotton cloths were produced in the village. Most of the handloom weavers operated in converted dwelling houses, the family living upstairs or across a close that divided the property. Located close to the centre of the village, near the greens, the lintel of this building is painted with the inscription: 'THE STRATHAVEN WEAVERS BEAMING SOCIETY LIMITED?. A Strathaven Heritage Trail plaque is to the left of this.

This possibly purpose-built cottage is said around 1870 to have replaced an earlier beaming shop in Chapel Road (Downie p189). Beaming machines, introduced in the 1840s, changed the method of production for the weavers. 'The beam was fitted into a framework and the warp was wound on to the beam, the warp being kept in tension by a system of pulleys and spaced out by a framework of pegs? (Downie p189). Weavers would bring yarn and beams to the beaming shop to have the beams made ready for their looms.

Although large industrialised textile mills were in operation from the late 18th century, handloom weaving continued into the 20th century in Strathaven, albeit in decline. In 1835 there were 800 weavers and by 1900 there were 150. The 1930s was the last decade of weaving in Strathaven and in 1937 'James Kirkland was the only weaver at his loom and he ceased work in 1938. His loom was in the old beaming shop in the Ward.

'At that time he was 78 years of age, having started weaving at the age of nine.' (Downie p192).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.