This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.7752 / 56°46'30"N
Longitude: -2.415 / 2°24'54"W
OS Eastings: 374733
OS Northings: 764928
OS Grid: NO747649
Mapcode National: GBR X7.F5M2
Mapcode Global: WH8R5.WY5X
Plus Code: 9C8VQHGM+3X
Entry Name: St Cyrus Uf Church, Main Road, St Cyrus
Listing Name: Main Road, St Cyrus Church Hall Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 12 May 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396789
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49198
Building Class: Cultural
Location: St Cyrus
Electoral Ward: Mearns
Parish: St Cyrus
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
1844. Simple gothic former church with aisless 4-bay nave and 3-stage tower, and later small hall. Stugged squared and snecked rubble with droved ashlar dressings. Deep base course. Voussoired, stop-chamfered, deeply-moulded doorpiece; 2-stage sawtooth-coped angle buttresses; hoodmoulds and label stops; stone mullions and chamfered reveals.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with large hoodmoulded 3-light raised-centre window set into tracery-effect panel; stone Celtic cross finial at gablehead. Tower (see below) set-back at outer right.
TOWER: NW face with steps up to hoodmoulded, 2-leaf boarded timber door with decorative ironwork hinges and traceried fanlight, 2 closely-set lights to W and further single light to S, 2nd stage with square-headed bipartite window to N, W and S. Each face of 3rd stage with hoodmoulded louvered tripartite opening set into panel and surmounted by cornice with stylised corbel at centre and crenellated parapet above with pinnacled angles.
SW ELEVATION: finialled gable with raised-centre tripartite window projecting to right of centre, 3 windows set-back to left and tower (see above) to outer left. Lower slightly set-back small hall to outer right with disabled access to shoulder-arched door at left and bipartite window to right.
NE ELEVATION: finialled gable with raised-centre 3-light window to left, 4 windows set-back to right and 3 square-headed windows to lower bay at outer left.
SE ELEVATION: advanced finialled gable to centre with small traceried circular window over later, projecting, asymmetrically-fenestrated bays close to boundary wall.
Decoratively-astragalled traceried glazing to circular SE window and fanlight over tower door; multi-pane margined leaded glazing to raised-centre 3-light windows and bipartite to outer right at SW; 3-pane glazing (with some frosted glass) elsewhere except to SE and NE of small hall with replacement windows; some external secondary glazing. Graded grey slates and decorative terracotta ridge tiles. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative square-section gutters, rainwater hoppers and fixings.
INTERIOR: plain moulded cornices; boarded timber dadoes; hoodmoulded nave windows and Queenpost truss roof. Shallow chancel arch with stage and traceried window, and similar shallow side chapels. Some timber bench pews retained at sides.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low saddleback-coped rubble boundary walls.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Former Free Church which was bequeathed to the members of St Cyrus Church and subsequently used as the Church Hall. At the time of the Disruption, the minister of St Cyrus Parish Church was Dr Keith Alexander. He preached for the last time at the Established Church on 28th May, and the following Sunday in a nearby barn where the congregation included "the Session Clerk, the Church
Treasurer, the entire Kirk Session and well over half of the congregation". The Free Church congregation were very unhappy that their children continued to be educated by the Established Church, but by 1846 Mrs Straton of Kirkside had provided funds for a new school for the 'children of the Free.'
Other nearby listed buildings