This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6989 / 55°41'56"N
Longitude: -4.627 / 4°37'37"W
OS Eastings: 235001
OS Northings: 648177
OS Grid: NS350481
Mapcode National: GBR 39.FZ3V
Mapcode Global: WH2NQ.W0VZ
Plus Code: 9C7QM9XF+H5
Entry Name: Farmsteading, Mid Auchenmade Farm
Listing Name: By Kilwinning, Mid Auchenmade Farm and Outbuildings
Listing Date: 12 May 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396821
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49229
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilwinning
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1770, with early 19th century additions. Single-storey and attic 3-bay rectangular farmhouse with pitched roof porch, rear extension and adjoining single storey ranges. Painted coursed rock-faced ashlar with painted smooth ashlar margins and projecting sills. Painted ashlar angle margins, base and band course.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central farmhouse: piended projecting enclosed porch, window to end; modern timber and glazed panel door to right return; ground floor window either side of porch with matching gabled dormers above. To left: adjoining single storey range with sliding timber doors.
Adjoining single storey 3-bay range to right: door to left with FEAR GOD TB AR 1788 carved into lintel. Recessed concealed range to right: pair of doors with small irregularly placed windows at lintel height.
E ELEVATION: gable end with narrow slit window to ground floor R and gable head.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: mostly single storey with projecting extension to centre, irregular fenestration.
W ELEVATION: gable end with painted high stone wall to R concealing range.
Replacement uPVC windows; some unglazed slit windows for ventilation to barns and byres. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridging and valleys. Cast-iron rainwater goods. 2 coursed stone gable stacks with projecting copes and paired plain cans.
INTERIOR: (seen 2009). Modernised, but with original room plan of house largely extant. Some timber panelled internal doors. Stone and slate barn adjoining to E: concrete floor with partial timber loft.
OUTBUILDINGS: traditional single storey white-washed farm buildings including cartshed with loft to NW of farmhouse; stone forestair with stone slabbed platform at entrance leading to hayloft; small stone and slate byre; modern hay shed.
Mid Auchenmade is a good example of a former farm with a late 18th century core, which retains its range of traditional little externally altered outbuildings. The farm has distinctive gabled dormers and this unusual profile makes it a significant feature in the landscape.
Originally this land went by a range of names: Auchinmade, Auchenmaid and Achin-medds. 'Achach-na-maid' means the field of stick or timber and 'Madadh' means a dog, wolf or fox. Originally this property was surrounded by woods and provided a safe natural haven for wild animals. It is situated in the northern part of the parish of Kilwinning and originally consisted of Auchenmade, Middle Auchenmade and Little Auchenmade. Farming spread to the area when Alexander, 10th Earl of Eglinton, drained and enclosed fields. There were 2 mosses in the parish and one of these, the 'Auchinmaid and Auchentibber Moss', was drained for cultivation. The Auchenmade area was a profitable and accessible location. The Lanarkshire and Ayrshire railways passed the west side of the district and a 'new road' of 1806 cut through. These links meant farmers were able to procure materials for improving their farms easily, in addition to marketing their fresh produce. Crops were harvested then taken to market in the same length of time as in other parts of the parish, where previously there had been a fortnight's difference. Fresh milk and dairy produce was sent to Glasgow. Farm rents remained high in Ayrshire when prices fell in the rest of the country. The price of dairy produce fell in the 20th century and some farms reverted to residential use with grazing and paddocks for horses.
Change of category from B to C(S) in 2009.