This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7751 / 55°46'30"N
Longitude: -3.923 / 3°55'22"W
OS Eastings: 279474
OS Northings: 655200
OS Grid: NS794552
Mapcode National: GBR 111N.HM
Mapcode Global: WH4QY.Q33L
Plus Code: 9C7RQ3GG+2R
Entry Name: Ymca, 141-145 Main Street, Wishaw
Listing Name: 141-145 (Odd Nos) Main Street, Ymca Building
Listing Date: 29 May 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396824
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49232
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Wishaw
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Steel, 1912-14 with later alterations. 2-storey long rectangular-plan purpose-built YMCA building with 2 shops to ground floor, pedimented entrance bay to right, eaves cornice and stone parapet. Brick construction, faced with chanelled red sandstone to principal elevation.
NE (MAIN STREET) ELEVATION: recessed doors, continuous cornice and fascia to 2 shops to left; 3 bays to 1st floor above, that to centre canted. Pedimented bay to right with panelled pilasters; shouldered, round-arched entrance with semicircular fanlight (modern steel shutters); french doors in decorative surround at 1st floor to stone-bracketed balcony with metal railings.
INTERIOR: lobby with 2-leaf glazed inner doors. 2 depressed-arched openings (that to right now blocked by later staircase) with leaded glass to fanlights leading to Board Room; decorative plasterwork, coffering and large shallow dome with decorative stained glass leaded lights. Exposed steel trusses to roof of gymnasium/auditorium to 1st floor.
Plate glass to shops; non-traditional repalcement glazing to 1st floor. Corniced red sandstone stack with circular cans to gable.
The foundation stone was laid on 23rd May 1914 by J Hamilton Houldsworth of Coltness, Hon. President of the Wishaw Young Men's Christian Association, and the Institute was opened on 23rd January 1915 by Sir Andrew Pettigrew. The building was designed to accommodate gymnasium/auditorium 'large social and games room, bowling tables and a good reading room to be used also as a lecture hall when required.' 'Men's and boys' lockers, private and shower baths and lavatories' were provided in the basement. The rent from leasing the 2 shops gave the YMCA an annual income. The building is listed firstly due to its local cultural significance as a purpose-built YMCA for which the finance was locally raised, still in its original use. As the 3rd statistical Account states, 'There is a decided lack of public buildings in Wishaw, and the Institute has provided accommodation for many other societies.' Secondly, despite later alterations including the horizontal subdivision of the double-height auditiorium, original good interior detailing remains, in particular the spectacular glazed dome of the Board Room.
Other nearby listed buildings