This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0509 / 57°3'3"N
Longitude: -3.0509 / 3°3'3"W
OS Eastings: 336344
OS Northings: 796031
OS Grid: NO363960
Mapcode National: GBR WF.9W44
Mapcode Global: WH7NL.31GH
Plus Code: 9C9R3W2X+9J
Entry Name: The Old Coach House, 50 Braemar Road, Ballater
Listing Name: 50 Braemar Road, the Old Coach House, the Neuk, Hillcrest and Inclduing Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 23 June 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396827
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49294
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Early 20th century. 2-storey, 3-bay crowstepped Scots Baronial former coach house with adjoining 2-storey, 3-bay house at rear on elevated site, at right angles to coach house. Pink coursed granite with grey granite dressings. String course divides storeys. Corbelled out pepperpot turret to SE corner. Central 2-leaf timber door with ornamental hinges in shallow segmental arch to S. Central bipartite gabled dormerhead flanked by 2 segmental pedimented dormerheads breaking eaves.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: W elevation of house; central 6-panelled timber entrance door with rectangular fanlight. Flanked by bipartite windows with granite mullions. Central segmental pedimented dormerhead flanked by bipartite gabled dormerheads breaking eaves.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows with 12-pane over plate glass to S. Otherwise, 9-pane over plate glass Graded grey slate. Candle snuffer roof to turret. Gable end stacks. Predominantly cast iron rainwater goods with some decorative hoppers and lugbands.
INTERIOR: admission to Coach House not possible at time of survey (2005).
Flats; original room plan largely extant. 3-panel timber doors. Some stained glass to hall window.
BOUNDARY WALL: low coped granite rubble wall to S with simple metal railing and interspersed with gable piers. Rubble coped wall to E.
The Old Coach House is a particularly fine, well-detailed example of a purpose-built coach house and associated accommodation, built in the Scots Baronial style and with a strong streetscape value.
Braemar Road is an area of Ballater which underwent transformation from wooded countryside to elite suburb during the last 30 years of the 19th century. A succession of prestigious houses were built on spacious plots along the road, reflecting Ballater's popularity with the wealthy as a summer base to explore the Highlands. This popularity was due in part to the proximity of Balmoral and the strong connections of the area with Queen Victoria.
This building was originally a functioning coach house with auxiliary accommodation, serving the larger house of Oakhall (see separate listing) which stands to the NW of the coach house. Both Oakhall and 50 Braemar Road are good architectural examples of the strong influence of the Balmoral style.
In 1902 there were two smaller buildings where 50 Braemar Road stands now; by 1928 the footprint of the buildings is as it is now. It seems likely therefore, that the present building is either an extension of the previous two buildings, or, more likely, a new, larger building, constructed at the same time as an additional wing was added to Oakhall itself, by the owners Mr and Mrs Henry Gibson Anderson to accommodate their Rolls Royce and staff, some point between 1902 and 1928.
50 Braemar Road is now in residential use.
Other nearby listed buildings