This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.224 / 56°13'26"N
Longitude: -2.6909 / 2°41'27"W
OS Eastings: 357257
OS Northings: 703711
OS Grid: NO572037
Mapcode National: GBR 2W.CTMR
Mapcode Global: WH7SM.MTTG
Plus Code: 9C8V68F5+JJ
Entry Name: Cellardyke Primary School, School Road, Cellardyke
Listing Name: School Road, Cellardyke Primary School
Listing Date: 21 August 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396928
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49408
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: East Neuk and Landward
Traditional County: Fife
1878; extended 1896. 2-storey, 7-bay, T-plan Board school with gothic porches. Squared rubble with squared snecking and stugged ashlar dressings. Base, band and 1st floor cill courses, and eaves cornice. Hoodmoulded Tudor-arch doors, and shouldered windows. Stop-chamfered arrises and stone mullions.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Low wall projecting to centre at ground, flanking bays each with raised centre tripartite window and gothic porch beyond in re-entrant angle with tiny blind niche in steeply-pitched gablehead, timber door and narrow light to inner return at ground; centre bay at 1st floor with relief carved panel worded 'ERECTED 1878/ENLARGED 1896' surmounted by scrolled broken pediment and 2 closely aligned bipartite windows to flanking bays. M-gables to advanced outer bays each with raised centre tripartite window to ground and 1st floor (latter slightly wider), and timber-louvered opening in gablehead.
E ELEVATION: 2 raised centre tripartite windows to ground and 2 further tripartite windows to 1st floor.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation with largely regular fenestration, 2 advanced piend-roofed bays to centre and further piend-roofed outer bays. Later flat-roofed single storey projections to right and left of centre.
W ELEVATION: as E elevation.
Horizontal 3- and 4-pane glazing patterns to ground and 1st floor E, 6-, 8- and 10-pane glazing patterns elsewhere, all in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews with flat skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers and fixings, and square-section gutters.
Thought likely that David Henry of St Andrews was the architect but this cannot be confirmed as yet.
Other nearby listed buildings