History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

22 Bath Street, Maxieburn Including Boundary Walls and Gates

A Category C Listed Building in Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.9684 / 56°58'6"N

Longitude: -2.218 / 2°13'4"W

OS Eastings: 386843

OS Northings: 786372

OS Grid: NO868863

Mapcode National: GBR XK.28YL

Mapcode Global: WH9RM.W3ZS

Entry Name: 22 Bath Street, Maxieburn Including Boundary Walls and Gates

Listing Date: 8 October 2003

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397045

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49508

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Stonehaven

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside

Traditional County: Kincardineshire

Find accommodation in
Stonehaven

Description

1895; conservatory 1990s. 2-storey, 3-bay, gabled Free Style mock half-timbered house with timber balcony, oriel window and inglenook fireplace. Stugged, squared and snecked Aberdeen bond rubble with stugged and polished ashlar dressings and quoin strips. Part base course, jettied 1st floor and timber 1st floor cill course. Stone mullions.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: broad advanced gable to right of centre with canted window at ground and projecting rectangular-plan 4-light window above; set-back bay to centre with part-glazed panelled timber door, fanlight and adjacent small decoratively-astragalled light giving way to 1st floor balcony on square-section, braced supports, further part-glazed timer door off-set to left, and small 3-light apparently altered dormer window with tiny pediment; bay to left of centre with full-height canted window rising into finialled polygonal roof, and balcony (as above) clasping left angle.

E ELEVATION: dominant gabled centre bay with bipartite window at ground giving way to corbelled canted oriel window above; bay to left with canted inglenook projection at ground incorporating small decoratively-astragalled lights to outer faces and single window to right at 1st floor; lower service wing to right with lean-to timber and corrugated-iron projection clasping outer right angle and small dormerheaded window breaking eaves above.

W ELEVATION: variety of elements to altered elevation including bracketed tripartite oriel window to 1st floor centre gable and large conservatory extension to right at ground.

N ELEVATION: low 2-storey bay to right of centre with 2 closely-aligned windows at ground and bipartite stair window above, gable to outer right with later? projection at ground and further window to each floor of narrow set-back bay at left, service wing projecting at outer left.

Leaded coloured glass to main door and adjacent window at S, and to stair window at N; decoratively-astragalled glazing pattern to inglenook; largely multi-pane glazing pattern over plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows elsewhere; some plate glass glazing and small-pane top-opening windows to rear. Rosemary tiles, those to S elevation installed 2003. Coped ashlar stacks, some ribbed, with full-complement of cans, decorative terracotta ridge tiles and finials. Overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding.

INTERIOR: some moulded cornices; architraved, horizontally-panelled doors, some with decorative doorheads and coloured leaded glass. Tiled vestibule with fine screen door incorporating flanking lights and fanlight of leaded coloured glass; dog-leg staircase with timber balusters and square newel posts. Pilastered timber fire surround to inglenook; tiled fireplace.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATES: low saddleback-coped rubble boundary walls with decorative cast-iron gates.

Statement of Interest

: Sited at the westernmost end of Bath Street where it joins one of the principal approach roads into Stonehaven town centre, the finely-detailed Maxieburn was built as the 'summer residence' of Professor McKendrick of Glasgow University 'on Main's Hill' (Groome). The professor had spent his early working years in the area, subsequently becoming Provost in 1910. An early (undated) newspaper cutting in the owner's possession remarks on the beauty of the garden. Maxieburn was taken over early in the 1960s by Mr Smith, retired coffee planter and keen conservationist, and sold in 2003. John Paterson's 1810 Fetteresso Parish Church (listed category 'B') is situated on land adjacent to Maxieburn.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.