This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9543 / 55°57'15"N
Longitude: -3.1578 / 3°9'28"W
OS Eastings: 327802
OS Northings: 674082
OS Grid: NT278740
Mapcode National: GBR 8WF.V1
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.GLHP
Plus Code: 9C7RXR3R+PV
Entry Name: Meadowbank Lodge, Duke's Walk, Holyrood Park, Edinburgh
Listing Name: Holyrood Park, Meadowbank Lodge
Listing Date: 7 October 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397050
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49513
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Craigentinny/Duddingston
Traditional County: Midlothian
Robert Matheson, dated 1858, with some later additions and alterations. Single-storey and attic, asymmetric, multi-gabled Gothic lodge, with steeply pitched roofs and distinctive diamond flues, situated at East entrance to Holyrood Park. Squared and snecked stugged sandstone with polished dressings. Base course. Tripartite and bipartite windows, arrowslits to gables. Entrance elevation to N with off-centre timber boarded entrance door in stop-chamfered Tudor-arched surround. Round-arched opening to W with plaque above (see Notes). Later lean-to extension to E.
Plate glass later timber casement windows. Graded grey slates. Stone kneelered skews with gabletted skewputts. Corniced wallhead and ridge stacks with diamond flues and octagonal cans.
The distinctive steeply pitched roofs, kneeled skews, and diamond flues of this lodge add significantly to the character of Holyrood Park. Originally known as the East Lodge, Meadowbank Lodge is one of the four lodges planned by Prince Albert in his landscaping of Holyrood Park from 1855-8 and they all share the similar distinguishing gabled, picturesque style. The entrance was originally to the West and the date plaque with the inscription VR 1858 is situated above the original entrance door. The four Lodges are positioned around Queen's Drive and clearly demarcate the distinct parkland area of Holyrood Park from the surrounding city. The other lodges are Meadowbank, Duddingston and St Leonard's Lodges (see separate listings).
The Lodges were designed by Robert Matheson, the Clerk of Works for Scotland, who carried out a programme of gradual improvements to the Palace, the Park and the Abbey Precincts at the request of Queen Victoria. These improvements included designing the Lodges for the entrances to the Park and the fountain in the forecourt of the Palace.
The grounds known as Holyrood Park had been associated with the Scottish royal household since the 12th century, and were extended to roughly their present boundaries in 1541-2 by James V. The rights of the Earl of Haddington as hereditary keeper of the Park were bought out in 1843, after Queen Victoria's first visit to the Palace in 1842, bringing it again under Royal control. In 1855-8, at the instigation of Prince Albert, plans were drawn up for the landscaping of the Park. Bogs were drained, Dunsapie and St Margaret's Lochs were formed, the Queen's Drive (originally Victoria Road) was constructed, and lodges built by Robert Matheson, who also executed work at Holyrood Palace during the same period. Albert also intended to build a rustic thatched restaurant at Dunsapie Loch, but this plan was abandoned in the face of stout public opposition. With the exception of the occupied buildings, including the lodges, the Park is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.
List description revised as part of the Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08. Change of category from B to C(S), 2008.
Other nearby listed buildings